Question about feeding fish while I'm away

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

P&BtheBetta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello! I'm going to be going on a trip soon for 3 days. I usually fast my two fish for 2 days- is it okay to not feed them for 3?
Pearl, my female betta is healthy and Blueberry is overall healthy besides his recently ripped tail.

Thanks. :)

As long as you have live plants in your tank they will be fine for up to a week by themselves.

As long as you have live plants in your tank they will be fine for up to a week by themselves.

I don't have live plants, do you think it would be better to ask a friend to feed them for 1 day while I'm gone?
Thank you for the fast reply!

I don't have live plants, do you think it would be better to ask a friend to feed them for 1 day while I'm gone?
Thank you for the fast reply!
I would suggest you get some live plants, something that floats. Long term for your Bettas they will be happier to.

They don’t need live plants for 3 days, they will be perfectly fine. Just make sure to feed heavily before leaving. (Don’t overfeed, but feed more than usual)

A couple of years ago I left mine for a fortnight with one of those 14 day dead daphnia cake things. I think Tetra sell them.
I did massive water change day before go and another one when I came home.
I think the food block was unnecessary and potentially dangerous - but I used it anyway. I also added a cattappa leaf and some other botanics.
Back then I kept records of water testing, and the nitrate was only 20 (basically same as when i left) when i got back, the food block not touched by fish and shrimp and presumabely not by heterotroph bacteria either (extremely luckily).

Just to clear i dont suggest the holiday food - i suggest the opposite.

In my opinion a planted tank with leaves, pine alder cones, algae, etc will support your fish for up to two weeks, more for all I know. I even think my nitrate might have gone down to zero had I not added the holiday block.

As far as I know no-one starved to death, but its not impossible, and if so I would guess that is what fed the tank, but I actually think not... my 'scape was busy enough that livestock counting was only approximate; often I would count 2 more tetras on wednesday compared to tuesday for example. And I was certainly counting several more adult shrimp at end of holiday compared to start also. Plus the cories had probably had babies as they had laid eggs 2 or 3 days before holiday. So if anything the livestock increased in number.

The fish will be fine for 3 days without food. Just feed them a little more often leading up to your trip, then give them a feed before you go. They will be absolutely fine.

Most reactions

Back