Question about 50L / 13.5g aquarium

fishtonic1

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am planning on getting a 50L / 13.5g aquarium, though i am stuck on how many fish to get.
I am interested in a Honey dwarf gourami, a school of corydoras, and/or a school of some kind of tetra.
What are you guys' suggestions? Gourami and tetras, cory and tetras, or cory and gourami? All would be nice but im sure it probably wouldnt work.
Cory and gourami would be my first choice, but im not sure if it would be suitable.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you

Hello. This is a very small tank. Whatever fish you decide on will need very clean water conditions if they're to remain healthy. At least half the water will need to be removed and replaced a couple of times a week. Good luck with your tank!

Can you get a bigger aquarium?
A 3 foot long aquarium would be big enough for tetras, gouramis and normal sized Corydoras.
A 30 inch long tank would be ok for a group of small tetras, a pr of honey gouramis, and a group of pygmy Corydoras (assuming the water chemistry is suitable).

----------------------

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

Can you get a bigger aquarium?
A 3 foot long aquarium would be big enough for tetras, gouramis and normal sized Corydoras.
A 30 inch long tank would be ok for a group of small tetras, a pr of honey gouramis, and a group of pygmy Corydoras (assuming the water chemistry is suitable).

----------------------

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.
Hi there, thanks for your input. Unfortunately, the tank cannot be any bigger as its going in my bedroom and that's all the space i can spare

A single honey gourami, 6-10 small tetras (flame, ember or something like that), 6 pygmy Corydoras would probably be ok if you have soft water (GH below 150ppm).

A single honey gourami, 6-10 small tetras (flame, ember or something like that), 6 pygmy Corydoras would probably be ok if you have soft water (GH belo
What do you think about 6 or 5 peppered corydora with a gourami? You think they would be too big?

The tank is a bit small for peppered Corydoras. Pygmy Cories (Corydoras) would be a better size fish for that tank. A bigger tank (not possible due to space) is required for most other Corydoras due to their size (2-3 inches).

The tank is a bit small for peppered Corydoras. Pygmy Cories (Corydoras) would be a better size fish for that tank. A bigger tank (not possible due to space) is required for most other Corydoras due to their size (2-3 inches).
Okay, thank you Colin you've been very helpful

Most reactions

Back