Ques Re Older Betta In Ill Health

DogFish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My oldest betta, who I think would be turning 3 in a few months, is having a hard time getting to the surface.
I noticed it the other morning, it is like he is too heavy. He was resting on the bottom and then would swim hard to the surface and breathe, and then slowly sink again. Sometimes he rested on a silk plant.

I moved him into a fish bowl (he was in a divided tank so I couldn't lower the water level) and he is in about 3 inches of water.
He is still eating, and pooping. Sometimes he lies on his side for a bit, but mostly just rests on the bottom.
He certainly seems to find it easier to come up to the top now.
Is it likely that he is near the end? Is there anything else I can do for him?

Thanks,
Lynn.

I may be wrong but if he is struggaling to swim to the top he may have swim bladder, there is various medications in your LFS. Or someone may be able to post with more help/info.
Good luck.

Does he look fat or bloated? Because if he does he might be constipated and his stomach is pressing against his swim bladder causing him to act this way. Also does he have any unusual things on him like white patches or is he having a hard time breathing?

Does he look fat or bloated? Because if he does he might be constipated and his stomach is pressing against his swim bladder causing him to act this way. Also does he have any unusual things on him like white patches or is he having a hard time breathing?

Thank you for the responses.
He does not look fat or bloated. He is not constipated as he is pooping well. No white patches, no problem breathing. He looks exactly the same as he always has.
I looked up swim bladder and it seems to refer to fish who float at the top, not sink, am I wrong in that?

Any other ideas?

Yes they can sink, they can float to the top, they can swim sideways, they can swim upside down, anyway possible I suppose. Well since nothing looks different maybe he is depressed or its starting to come to that time in their life when they get to old because most bettas life span is two to three years but their is a record that one man was able to keep a betta alive for 9 years.

Swimbladders affect the fish being able to move up and down, and affects their total buoyency. So, depending on what is wrong with the fish's swimbladder will affect what kinds of results it has. The way I see it, one of two things is happening.

1) The fish has swim bladder disease due to diet or unknown cause: it is never a bad idea to give the betta a fourth of a cooked (in declorinated water!) and skinned pea, cut up into peices about the size of a betta pellet, instead of regular food. This never does any harm, and can only do good. It acts as a mild laxative, and is said to be able to cure some signs of swim bladder disease.

2) The fish's swimbladder has given out due to old age. This is good news and bad news. The good news is, that in and of itsself isn't fatal. The bad news, that might not be the only thing to go, and it is not treatable.

Good luck, keep us posted, and make sure he stays in clean, warm water. You are doing a good job.

It sounds to m e more like old age than a symtom.
As long as he's eating and pooping regularly, and doesn't look too stressed, he sounds good to me.
Might want to look in your LFS for swim bladder medication, just in case.

It sounds to m e more like old age than a symtom.
As long as he's eating and pooping regularly, and doesn't look too stressed, he sounds good to me.
Might want to look in your LFS for swim bladder medication, just in case.

Thank you all. I will go check for swim bladder meds, and I will cook him up a pea tomorrow.
Its hard to keep the water warm because there is so little of it. The house is warm, the heat is on, and I wrap his bowl in a blanket for the night.

Thank you, its nice to know that I am on the right track for his care.

Most reactions

Back