Quarantine question

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sharkweek178

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I haven't done a quarantine tank before. Based on some stuff I've been reading online, can I just use a plastic tub instead?
I have a sponge filter along with a HOB in a tank. I could just use this sponge filter since it is pre-cycled. And a heater and a few ornaments for the fish to explore or hide in. No substrate since these wouldn't be substrate level fish anyways.

A couple things to mention here. A tub is OK but you might have difficulty seeing the fish to ascertain issues so a glass tank is better. You need a cover as fish will jump, and new fish in a strange environment are very prone to this esp at night. A spare 10g would be a better option.

I would always have a substrate as this calms the fish, provides the essential bacterial "bed," and is just healthier. I had half an inch of play sand in my QT. You want floating plants. And some decor to provide hiding places.

I had a permanent-running QT with some plants in the substrate, floating plants, heater, sponge filter, and a couple chunks of wood so when I acquired new fish they went into a fully established tank just like the display tanks and this was considerably less stress. I always consider a QT to be very different from a hospital tank for a sick fish. Hopefully the new fish will not have disease and getting them settled in a stress-free environment is the best thing you can do to ensure they remain healthy.

Most reactions

Back