Pygmy Or Albino Cories

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

James007

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I want to get some corys in my new tank (60 litre) but don't want to take up to much of my tank capacity.

I really like the Albino Corys put the Pygmy Corys maye be a better option if not as attractive.

Could anyone give me some feedback on the differences (size, price, appearance, behaviour, size of groups etc) of each. -_-

albino corys are easy to get hold of, i have never seen pygmy corys on sale.
maybe see what your LFS has in stock first.

I've got pygmy cories, Maidenhead usually stock them. They are very entertaining actually, they swim in a school, sit on plants. They don't stay on the bottom of the tank all of the time. I have found them easy to keep, in fact the only type of cory I have had any luck with. Can be eaten by larger fish though.

Personally i would go for pygmy corys, as although the tank will be just bigger enough for albino corys it really doesn't off them much in the way of space as they can grow between 2 and a half inches to 3inches long on average :thumbs: . If the tank has been running well for 5-6months+ i would go for panda corys as another option if you can get them as they stay very small, although they really do need a mature tank :thumbs: .

Hi,

Pygmys aren't your only option. Corydoras habrosus and hastatus are also dwarf corys and are usually available. Albinos are usually bronze corys or peppered corys and they are one of the larger corys growing 3 inches sometimes 3 and a half so if you can find them go with one of the dwarfs as you can have twice as many. If you are in the UK Trimar usually stock them.

Emma :)

Attachments

• panda.gif
    panda.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 70
Hi James007 :)

Any of the three miniature corys will do well in your tank provided the other fish are not too large or aggressive. They are cute, but do not seem to have the playful personalities that the standard corys do.

There are other corys that you might want to consider that are full sized, but smaller corys. These reach about 2"-2 1/2" and, except for the C. pandas, are kept the same way and have all the good attributes of the larger corys.

This group includes C. metae (bandits), C. guapore, C. adolfoi, C. arcuatus, C. axelrodi, C. armatus, C. trilineatus, C.elegans, C. rabouti, and C. similis. There are others too. Some of them are especially lovely fish and I'm sure you would like them. :D

Most reactions

Back