Pvc pipe glue safe for fish?

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello everyone! and I’m asking if the thing safe or not again :/

I was wondering if pvc pipe glue safe for aquarium uses or not.

PVC cement or 'glue' is a solvent that melts the pipe and fittings together. Once cured it is aquarium safe. However, most aquarium uses are very low pressure so I often just use silicone to seal pipe and fittings. That way, parts can be reused for other purposes as needed.
What are you looking to build?

Hello everyone! and I’m asking if the thing safe or not again :/

I was wondering if pvc pipe glue safe for aquarium uses or not.
Definitely safe after you've let it sit and out gas. I wouldn't recommend using it for anything but smaller valves and tank fittings though.

We used pvc pipe glue to join pvc pipe in tanks all the time. Just let it dry for a few minutes and rinse it out, then use it. They use the pvp pipe glue for drinking water pipes and it's safe for us, so it's safe for fish.

PvC Pipe glue is not glue but a solvent. I melts the pvc which then rehardens as a new solid piece. Perfectly safe in an aquarium as long as it has actually gone off completely.

So I made this easy water changer thing with pvc pipes and inlet pieces. I don’t understand how this thing work.
BF9C474E-654D-4509-97A9-5A3A75A80F55.jpeg

Basically what I need to do is:
1. Close the inlet valve.
2. Attaches the other end of the hose to the tab.
3. Open the tab and close it.
4. Everytime I open the tab, it can now suck water in.

Can I have scientific explanation on how opening and closing the tab cause it to suck water? I need the explanation so I can write it in my fishkeeping notebook.

@AbbeysDad @Colin_T

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back