Purigen

steveb87

Reaction score
Having a thought... anyone tried to pass tap water through a cartridge filled with Purigen to remove Nitrate? I run tap water to my tanks but just wanted to reduce the Nitrate.

Having a thought... anyone tried to pass tap water through a cartridge filled with Purigen to remove Nitrate? I run tap water to my tanks but just wanted to reduce the Nitrate.
How much nitrate is in your tap?

Purigen can remove organic compounds and so prevent ammonia forming, which in turn will lower nitrite and nitrate production. It wont remove nitrate once its already present.

Thanks, had a reply from support "Purigen sadly does not directly reduce nitrate. You would need to look at a nitrate remover/absorber, but they have limited capacity and would need regular replacements." It's what I thought but wanted to know for a fact. My water by the way is around 12.5ppm

My water by the way is around 12.5ppm
Is that really a problem? While i can accept getting nitrate as low as managable is desirable, i don't really see nitrate out the tap at that level as being an issue. What you are seeing isnt uncommon.
Stock moderately, do a decent water change every week, and you should be able to keep nitrate at a good level. My nitrate out of the tap is in the 5 to 10ppm region and i dont have a problem with nitrate levels.

Thanks, I have heavy stocking of young fish growing out and like to try to keep the NO3 as low as possible. Feed heavily and do plenty of W/C's and move the larger fish on to the next tank. Just would be nice to add very low NO3 water.

Most reactions

Back