Pure Endlers Or Guppy Cross - Opinions Please...

Eclecticoldsod

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Bought a trio two months ago, and we are on the third generation now. They look like black bar endlers to me, but how pour do you think they are please..?

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 28
You have several fish if you have had them for 2 months. Do any of the females have any color on them or are they as washed out plain as the one in the picture?

They look ok but if u buy from a shop i would presume their a guppy cross to be honest.

But they look more like endlers. do any show a extension to the tail or have long or short dorsal fins?

All the females are silver, with a darker snakeskin-like pattern.
All the males have twin colour extensions to the tail, the longer always on the bottom, and short dorsal fins. One male has little in the way of body colour, but quite a long and colourful dorsal fin.

Trom the sounds if it it sounds like their defo a more endler than guppy, but as the long dorsal trate show's in now and then, their has to be some guppy endler in there.

Also to be clear the tail is round with colour in the upper and bottom, or the tail is round but with a spike with colour?

Trom the sounds if it it sounds like their defo a more endler than guppy, but as the long dorsal trate show's in now and then, their has to be some guppy endler in there.

Also to be clear the tail is round with colour in the upper and bottom, or the tail is round but with a spike with colour?

In most, the tail is round with colour at the top and bottom. The one with the long dorsal fin has a definite spike on the base of the tail – he is the odd one out from the first generation. Too early to tell what will happen with the second generation, as the have not coloured up yet.

Yes it's a guppy cross then, but almost all endler gene's at least. just reject any fish you dont want to breed from.

Looks heavily endler to me which is why I asked about the females. There is no color other than the background color and the edge of each scale making a fishnet pattern on an endler female. On a guppy female, its not too unusual to see colors in the tail. These looked close to mine in many ways and I know mine are from wild stock. I do have one male that has a small extension of the lower sword color onto a swordtail looking ray that I intend to try to line breed to fix the characteristic. The line will still have no guppy in it but I may be able to get the extended fin into pure endler lines. When I first started keping fish, there were no guppies with fin extensions, those have all been developed by selective breeding. Nothing to keep me from doing some of the same things with pure endlers. The trick is to spot one worth selective breeding for a particular trait.

Problem is I've too had fish from so called proven stock and they too was crosses. this is the big problem with endlers and I'me very choosy where i get my fish now, and any sowrds are a slight sign of crossing

Most reactions

Back