Purchasing Fish From On-line Stores

slowcountry

Reaction score
I have tried for the last three months to replace my breading pair of red velvet swords. I have been to 8 stores in my area repeadedly and when they have them, they as well as the other fish, are extremely sick. I am looking for some different guppy varients as well. All of the good stores we had 15 years ago have gone out of business and what is left is miserable.

I am a little leary of purchasing fish on-line and having them UPSed to me, but I am running out of alternatives. I live in Central Indiana in the US. Any experiences on this type of fish purchase would be greatly appreciated.

They would be shipped to the local fish store in much the same way that they would be shipped to your home. Have a look on Aquabid, you might be able to find them locally.

cant coment on the us sites as im in england but i have bought a rotkeil severum and a golden nugget plec online both are fine. as long as the fish are well packed it is as nosoup poiunted out no different than if you got it from a lfs . after all the fish have to get to the shop somehow

Hi slowcountry :)

Is there a local aquarium society that meets in your area? If so, perhaps one of the members will have the fish you are interested in and would be willing to sell some or even trade them with you. Breeders of livebearers are often looking for someone to take some of their young fish and meetings are fun to attend.

Or you could look on AquaBid. When you consider the cost of shipping this is expensive, but if you want something unusual, it's a good way to go. Look for sellers with good feedback and then contact them before you buy. A good seller will have patience and answer your questions about age, size, etc. Then, be sure to have them shipped to you by next day delivery.

I've had very good success with fish I've bought both ways. :D

You shouldn't have much trouble finding the swords actually, they are relatively common.

You are definitely in luck Slowcountry. You are probably close to the Circle City club in Indianapolis and even better is the ALA convention that will be going on from April 23 through to the auction on April 26. Either one is an awesome place to make contacts when looking for a particular livebearer. Circle City is this year's host for the ALA convention and is loaded with people who keep any livebearer imaginable. They are one of my main sources for my goodeids although I am a 3 hours drive away, in central Illinois. Circle city also maintains a web site although the traffic there is very slow.

Most reactions

Back