Puffer Fish

Jazzy_b

Reaction score
Anyone keep puffer fish. just wondering whether to keep puffers or to start a nano marine tank?

most tropical puffers are brackish. so your devotion would be going to marine or brackish. IMO brackish is cheaper and uses pretty much the same equipment as freshwater. marine is very expensive and thats what stops me. if you have the money go for marine. its a whole new world and the fish are beautiful and very smart.

if you go puffers then you need to choose an available and desired species. theres a few common ones like figure eight and green spotted. they are species only, smart, colorful, hilarious, and get large...about 6 inches (large to me for a freshwater puffer).

in a nice 46 bowfront you could have maybe 3 GSP or 5-6 F8's. you could even do a sandy marine looking aquascape.

i didnt realize that...i thought dwarf puffers are the only commonly sold freshwater puffer?

It depends on what your budget, space and dedication allows

Dwarfs, are the preferred species and can be kept in a 10G

red eyed, and red eyed red tailed are a little bigger and more aggressive and can be kept in a 20G

South American Puffers, a personal favourite of mine, are quite sociable for puffers and grow to 6inches

then you have the much bigger puffers like the mbu which reaches length of 2 feet +

Most reactions

Back