Pseudopimelodus Sp.

CAC

Formerly: Catfish Are Cool
Reaction score
Hi ive seen this cat, and i was wondering weather anyone has any info on them, i think they look great, and just want to find out tanksizes, compatability etc. cos on planetcatfish i cant find anything...

Thanks alot.

Which species is it? There are many Psudeopims ranging from the tiny 2" bumble bee catfish to monsters like the Cephalosilrus species

theres one here eating a cichlid the same size as itself

nigricauda_004.jpg

nigricauda_005.jpg

all are fish eaters, it just depends on what size they are as to what size fish they can eat.

Im not sure, i simply saw this pic on planet catfish when i typed that in, as i have seen it for sale on a website.
heres the planet catfish page i got: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...species_id=1113

They also have some other cats, that i know stay small: imparfinis minutus, bumblebee catfish (microglanis) and akysis hendricksoni.

Thanks

Psudedo pims are reasonably safe with fish that are larger than themselves but will make snacks of anything that they "think" they can fit into their mouths so care must be taken when keeping them with tankmates, the fish in the above picture is 10" with a 10" pike cichlids tail protruding from its mouth.

Do you know species is the pic of the one on planet catfish that i just posted, and how big will it get?

Mikey

Ok ive found out which one it is, its the Pseudopimelodus sp. (2) (on that link) the only one without any info on them...
anyone know anything about them?

Mikey

The majority of Psuedo pims seem to average at around 6-8 inches so i would take that as a good guideline as to adult size, just keep an eye on growth rates compared to tankmates and remove anything that starts to look a bit small compared with the cat.

Ok, well id like to have 2 bumblebee catfish (microglanis) and 1 akysis handricksoni in there, but they do stay small, so would they be eaten?
If i did have the Pseudopimelodus, then what would be my stocking options in a 38 gal (US) tank?

Oh and are they nocturnal???

Mikey

If you had the psudeo pim you would have to plan for having no fish with an adult size under 6-8 inches and having all fish at least that size within a year as psudo pims grow very fast.

They will most likely be nocturnal, the majority of catfish are.

Hmmm ok, i dont think that would really suit...
Do you know how nocturnal the bumblebee catfish (microglanis) and akysis hendricksonis are?
would i actually be able to see them in the day, or would they just dissappear??

Mikey

Dont count on seeing much of either species, both are nocturnal and reclusive.

I have saw my old bumble bee catfish, only when i took everything out to clean the whole tnak every month.

Most reactions

Back