Protein Skimming On A Nano Reef

steelhealr

Hug a mod Nano Reef Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
If you want to see a lot of posts on a thread, ask whether or not to protein skim a nano tank. No wonder...this topic is one of the most 'controversial' subjects here and probably one of the most under-researched prior to placing that post question. It makes sense tho' that 'newbies' ask this since the responses are always divided. So, I've reviewed, over time, and summarize a bit: what is consensus to help some of us. I also will add a poll for those who skim...I'm hoping the more experienced nano-reefers will post. The fine print...always do your own research...experience is the best teacher...and never trust everything you read:

What is a Protein Skimmer and Why Skim

Our nano-systems are closed environmental systems..what we put in, does not easily come out. The addition of livestock, live rock and food adds nutrients and proteins that can accumulate and form dissolved organic acids (DSO's). As these accumulate, they can be a source of fodder for algae blooms, cyanobacteria and contribute to poor water conditions which could also affect the well-being of corals.
A protein skimmer is a device that 'culls' these DSO's out of our systems. Without going into physics or the mechanical design of skimmers (that's for you to read up on), a skimmer is a chamber that creates a jet of bubbles. As the bubbles pass upward through this system, DSO's adhere to the bubble's surface and are released when the bubble bursts. These proteins are then collected at the surface in a cup for removal. A protein skimmer could also be included under the heading of a device for 'nutrient export'.

What is the Difference Between Wet and Dry Skimming?

"Wet skimming" is when you set your collection cup lower/increase your water level...it creates a "wetter" foam, and pulls out a lot of nutrients at, of course, the loss of a lot of water.

"Dry skimming" is when you set your collection cup higher/decrease the water level...it creates a stiff, "dry" foam that is usually very dark in color. It doesn't pull out quite as many organics and you don't lose very much water at all.

'Skimmate' from a venturi-type protein skimmer entering the collection cup
skimmer6.jpg

The Pro's of Skimming

Here are some of the consistent comments about advantages of skimming:
1) helps with overall water quality and improved clarity
2) replicates nature, waves crash and skim the oceans leaving skim on beaches
3) water changes are periodic and skimming is constant
4) gives a margin of error in terms of overfeeding
5) skimming the bad far outweighs whatever 'good things' are skimmed
6) one can't test for skimmable products likes metabolites, intermediates, toxins, etc and there are no good data out there as to what 'good nutrients' are skimmed off
7) can improve oxygenation
8) pH stabilization thru removal of organic acids

The Con's of Skimming

Here are some of the consistent comments about going without a skimmer:
1) removes desirable nutrients
2) too large and make too much noise
3) require additional plumbing or don't fit well with certain systems
4) it's an unnecessary expense if you are consistent with water changes, light stocking and not overfeeding
5) creates microbubbles in the tank
6) possible oxidation of sensitive molecules (one poster listed iodine)
7) some ricordia/zoanthids prefer a small amount of DSO's

Types of Protein Skimmers
  • Countercurrent: least likely used in a nano. An air pump forces bubbles in at the bottom of a column and water pump forces water in thru the top. Height is the limiting factor
  • Venturi: uses the Bernoulli principle. Water is forced thru a narrowed area of tube/pipe. The increased velocity past this point pulls in air thru a small vent thus creating bubbles.
  • Turbo: a water pump draws air in thru the water intake and the impeller mixes the combination forming small bubbles

Venturi-type protein skimmer on a nano reef:
skimmer4.jpg

How Do I Decide if I Should Buy One

Here are some thoughts to help you decide on whether or not to buy a protein skimmer:

1) What is my bioload....am I heavily stocked (not a good idea for a nano) or do I have heavy polluters?
2) Do I have a tendency toward overfeeding or do I have no other methods for nutrient export (no refugium or macroalgae)
3) Lack of dedicated time for tank maintenance and water changes (not a good habit for a nano but sometimes unavoidable for busy workers)

Can I Make My Own Skimmer?

Yes you can. There are many do-it-yourself (DIY) skimmer posts out there on the web, however, many companies are now specifically designing skimmers for nano systems (eg, JBJ's Nano Cube)

What Protein Skimmer Should I Buy?

If you decide to purchase a protein skimmer, the decision will be based on what size tank you have and the type. Many 'out-of-the-box' tanks now have their own brand of 'nano skimmer' for sale. Those who periodically skim may simply use some type of 'HOB' system. Others might be kept in a refugium or sump. I don't usually mention names but AquaC here in the US and Deltec over in the UK are considered good brands.

skimmer3.jpg

Summary

In summary, the choice of using a protein skimmer is all yours. There is still no definitive consensus, however, there are some generally 'accepted thoughts' for nano tanks:
  • most nano reefs can be maintained with regular weekly water changes under 30 gallons
  • the larger the nano reef, eg, 30g's, there may be more added benefit
  • if you do want to protein skim, some may consider using an external skimmer either periodically so it doesn't destroy the beauty of your tank or plumbing it by drilling holes thru the hood in the back
  • the small protein skimmers placed in the back of the 'out-of-the-box' nano tanks are generally considered to be of little value

In case you are still curious:

Protein Skimming: results of a poll of our members

Good luck everone. Hope this helped. SH

No problem...just trying to keep interest and refocus on nano issues. SH

You may want to add that skimmers can make life difficult for filter feeders. If one is interested in keeping filters feeders (scallops, dendronepthea, tubeworms) it is best to do away with a skimmer and instead have a fuge and granular ferric oxide. Those two together can easily replace a skimmer.

Good point Lynden. Skimming will remove plankton, phyto, zoo or otherwise, from the water column. SH

But... if the skimmer is left off there will be a more continuous availability of food, in the form of shed reproductive parts (of algae) and other small life.

Again....I think the issue comes down to what you keep in your tank. IF you are filled with photosynthetic ricordea or mushrooms and you have a 12G nano, then, you can almost for sure get away with not skimming.

On the other hand, if you are keeping a 29 gallon tank with sun corals and other LPS that benefit from zooplankton, brine, etc..and don't have a refugium and find your nitrates difficult to control, then skimming might be a good option.

SH

Most reactions

Back