Problems With Ph Shock And My Dwarf Neon Gourami

lorin

Reaction score
Hey guys ive been posting in the tropical fish emergencies section reguarding this problem, hehe its quite a long story but ill start from the top!

Apparently ive had ph shock in my tank and its affected my little dwarf neon gourami, called bubble quite badly.

Its a Vision 260 with a small variety of community species, (few tetras, couple of bolivian rams, angel fish, gold ram, pair of dwarf neon gouramis, synodontis multipunctata catfish and an L52)

The local LFS advised me to use a ph adjuster as I bought a Dekeyseria Brachyura (L52) from them and within about 24h of putting it in my tank it passed away to the great tropical pond in the sky :(, it unfortunately developed some very strange symptoms (Including not being able to right itself and lying on its back gasping) they tested my water sample and everything was perfect so instead of accepting they were to blame decided to pin it on my ph which was about 9.4 at the time. They said I couldnt have a replacement fish unless I purchased a ph adjuster to lower my ph (as they didnt sell peat) and that if i didnt adjust my ph my replacement was bound to die of the same fate. I was pretty appauled at this having worked in a couple of LFS's before, I would have handled the situation alot differently. I also had to drive about 25 miles to recieve this "information" and I wasnt willing to leave without a replacement.

So I followed the instructions on the ph adjuster wanting to make everything right for my new L52 (zebedee mark 2) and within minutes my ph had dropped to about 8, since then my dwarf neon gouramis both seemed to look incredibly highly stressed, breathing very heavily and rapidly and also aquired very round bellies.

They both do seem to look a little better now theyve started feeding again and are behaving alot more like themselves, however they are both still showing the same symptoms.
On top of all that the ph in the tank has dropped even further still, I have absolutely no idea why as my ph from the tap is relatively high and I certainly havent made the mistake of putting anymore ph adjusters in! Now in total its dropped from around 9.4 to 7.4 it dropped to about 8 straight after putting the adjuster in but has been steadily declining over the past couple of days by about 0.2 each time.

Just wondering what I can do for the best for my fish? Should I sit it out and try not to stress them as little as possible and hope they get used to the new ph or should i do water changes and try and increase the ph back to where it was? Its making me sad everytime i look at him to think hes suffering :'(

I hear you also might need to know what substrate ive got ive got a very fine gravel almost like sand a few round smooth pebbles in there, and a piece of wood that looks like bogwood i guess but we didnt have all the issues with the staining, so im guessing its not bogwood. Temperatures about 25' i have no airpump currently, have the new juwel T5 lighting and the 1000lp/h powerhead working my standard juwel internal filter, only i got some free cirax with it too. Im using seachem prime to dechlorinate the water and detoxify any nasties and its been running around 3 months now. Ive probably had the gouramis longer than 2 months without any problems. All ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are at 0ppm.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated!

Lorin

That is just horrible. :(
Round bellies? Do you mean that they're bloated? What are your water stats? Any sign of pineconing? (Scales sticking straight out)
Dwarf Gouramis as a species are generally very weak and fragile creatures. I hate to sound so blunt, but if these gourami die, (and it's not a sure thing that they will, it's just judging from your other gourami) I would advise going to a different LFS and getting some hardier gourami.
I'm no expert on PH. Sorry.
I'm sorry, I just sound like a hypocrite because I have a dwarf gourami, but if I had to do it again I'd get a different one.

Hehe ye I wont be going to that LFS again that advised me to adjust my ph for my pleco thats for sure! Well ye definately do look bloated but other than that their scales and colour look fine, theyre swimming normally, no problems with boyancy and im giving them bloodworm now instead of Tetra prima granules just incase. They even seem to be behaving normally, bubble is even chasing his partner squeak as usual lol.

I understand what youre saying about them being fragile I knew that when I bought them and I made sure I chose where I bought them from carefully and made sure they were in excellent condition and up until now ive had no problems with them at all apart from them pecking at my plants all the time! :p

Its really not nice to see him like that, especially when you are unsure what to do for the best.

Most reactions

Back