Problem With External Filters When Carrying Out Tank Maintenance

7755matt

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here can help with a reason / suggest a solution.

I have two tanks both running Fluval external filters (205/405).

I can cope with the issues priming them that happen occasionally and I've not had it leak yet, in fact I'm very impressed.

The problem i have is that after my water change, I fill the tank back up, so that the inlet/outlet are both underwater, prime and fill teh pump and then top the tank up.

When I turn the pumps on, loads of floaty, white/grey gunk comes out. it looks like i've put a defrosted block of daphnia in.

I've never seen anything in the manual that say di should back flush the hoses, or take them off and clean them?

Does / has anyone have this problem, if so can you tell me how you sorted or what I need to do to stop it happening again?

thanks

I was wondering if anyone here can help with a reason / suggest a solution.

I have two tanks both running Fluval external filters (205/405).

I can cope with the issues priming them that happen occasionally and I've not had it leak yet, in fact I'm very impressed.

The problem i have is that after my water change, I fill the tank back up, so that the inlet/outlet are both underwater, prime and fill teh pump and then top the tank up.

When I turn the pumps on, loads of floaty, white/grey gunk comes out. it looks like i've put a defrosted block of daphnia in.

I've never seen anything in the manual that say di should back flush the hoses, or take them off and clean them?

Does / has anyone have this problem, if so can you tell me how you sorted or what I need to do to stop it happening again?

thanks

I used to have a Fluval, and it was the bain of my life. The pipes for some reason are ribbed, i guess to make them bend better. The ribs get full up of rubbish ALL the time, so every time i cleaned the filter i had to take the pipes off soak them and then flush the,

I would suggest doing this every time, and when you have had enough get an ehiem, or some pipes that dont have ridges in them!

Most reactions

Back