Problem With Black Molly

Mulrey79

Reaction score
Hello I just started a new 29gal tank three weeks ago and one out of two black Molly's have a white like hairs protruding out of it's back scales. They are not noticeable until under light and real good eyes but I tried ich cure And I don't think that was it. I will try to add a photo of best quality. Thank you for any help

Here is my photo my tank is new and the water quality is good. I know you can't see the little hair like white things growing out of scales but under the light you can see them. The molly likes to hover up at the top of the water a lot and swims in place a lot. Any help would be great

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 53
My molly once had something that looked similar.  I researched a lot and couldn't find any cases of fungal or bacterial infections that fit what I was looking at.  I can't say for sure that your molly has what mine has, but I did a big water change (50-60%) and tried adding a little a little salt.... I used sea salt from my kitchen because it was the only non iodized salt I had on hand (I know, I should've used aquarium salt). Just like a teaspoon per 10 gallons, maybe even a little less. Within 2 days all the white was gone.  While my molly was having problems, she acted normal so if you're seeing other signs you might want to look a little deeper for other causes.

make sure your water stats are good.. check them because with the not introduced fish if the tank wasn't fishless cycled you'll have issues.

besides that if the fish is swimming and eating (always a big thing, fish stops eating your usually screwed) treat with methylene blue heavily (this treats everything and my #1 go to) 
keep the water quality up, feed every other day .. and you should be good.

Most reactions

Back