Problem Rams

Peterfc1686

Reaction score
I recently came across 3 rams for sale in a fish shop. 2 where male and the other i wasn't sure about so i got all 3.
It turned out i got 3 males so i went and found some good size females the next week. The problem being is the males are normal looking males but the females look like a German blue Ram. After a month the males and females show no signs being friends they are just tank mates.

Attachments

• D7C1A600-1B85-4A1B-943B-142B157434F9.JPG
    D7C1A600-1B85-4A1B-943B-142B157434F9.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 61
  • F9379BCF-52D5-4CF2-B240-80FB3F612780.JPG
    F9379BCF-52D5-4CF2-B240-80FB3F612780.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 62
The fish I can see in the photos are the species Mikrogeophagus ramirezi. There are two different varieties obviously, cold be a third, but they are still the same species. This means they share traits/behaviours/requirements.

Males are territorial and will establish what the individual fish sees as "his" space. Other members of the species may or may not be allowed to exist within the territorial, that can vary with individual males. Be prepared to separate them if it becomes obvious that the dominant male has decided to exert his right, it can occur soon, or much later.

As for male/female, this species must select their respective mate and bond, in order to live peacefully and spawn. You/we have no idea if these fish will form a pair, or two, or whatever, it is entirely up to the fish. Once again, be prepared to intervene should a male decide the presence of a female is not welcomed any longer.

When a dominant male decides he's had enough of other males or females in his territory, the other fish tend to get attacked, and it can quickly be game over. Again, it is the norm for this species but all fish do not always follow the norm.

All good info from @Byron .

Maybe I'm going blind, but none of those rams appear to be female to me. Do you have other photos? Can anyone else chime in?

Additionally, Rams are notorious for "just dying randomly". In reality, it's not random. They cannot handle anything but perfect water conditions. Your pH should be 7.0 or lower, your kH and gH should similarly be very low (soft), temp at 82-85 degrees, very low nitrates <10 and high quality foods with frequent water changes. If you can maintain that, you should have no problems. If you cannot, they will gradually (and sometimes quickly), "just die".

All good info from @Byron .

Maybe I'm going blind, but none of those rams appear to be female to me. Do you have other photos? Can anyone else chime in?

Additionally, Rams are notorious for "just dying randomly". In reality, it's not random. They cannot handle anything but perfect water conditions. Your pH should be 7.0 or lower, your kH and gH should similarly be very low (soft), temp at 82-85 degrees, very low nitrates <10 and high quality foods with frequent water changes. If you can maintain that, you should have no problems. If you cannot, they will gradually (and sometimes quickly), "just die".
this is unrelated but thanks so much i was about to get rams but i have normal gh and kinda hard ph
phew

I have never kept rainbowfish before but to my knowledge they do well in harder water.

The larger species are usually moderately hard water, but many of the small species are soft water. So check parameters for the species.

Most reactions

Back