Preserving Seals

Nick16

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
hi, currently draining the 4x2x2 as we speak and i want to preserve some of the seals to stop them drying out. the tank will not be filled for a minimum of two years, but more like 3-4.

therefore, is there much i can do to the silicone around the tank to stop it drying out/cracking? anything i can put on it?

the same question applies to my 2 tetratec ex1200 filters. where are the seals and what do i put on them?

cheers

All o-rings and seals should be kept in the dark. Get a zip lock sandwich bag, make sure that they are dry and grease them with plenty of silicone grease, place inside the ziplock bag and stick inside an envelope. Make sure you label where you got the labels from. Alternatively buy new and keep them in the dark- it maybe easier to buy new o-rings and seal now then in 4 years time.

As for the silcone seals of the tank as long its not exposed to direct sun or freezing they should be fine although it would be wise to test outside before filling inside.

When I got back into the hobby a few years ago, I went into my garage and dug out the old tanks that I had sitting out there for about 10 years. I am still enjoying them today after being refilled for over 7 years now. I did not do as well with filters and heaters so I have replaced most of them. The plastic they used to make filters out of gets very brittle when allowed to dry out completely. The heaters were really not very good when they were new and I have decided to use only the submersible type, which they were not.

My 21 year old 6x2x2 got filled for the first time in 10 years last week and not a drop leaked,terrifying while filling,but all stayed dry lol

All o-rings and seals should be kept in the dark. Get a zip lock sandwich bag, make sure that they are dry and grease them with plenty of silicone grease, place inside the ziplock bag and stick inside an envelope. Make sure you label where you got the labels from. Alternatively buy new and keep them in the dark- it maybe easier to buy new o-rings and seal now then in 4 years time.

As for the silcone seals of the tank as long its not exposed to direct sun or freezing they should be fine although it would be wise to test outside before filling inside.
Yep make sure u lable were u got the labels from. Might forget were to put the labels in 3-4 years time (made me chuckle sorry) I would simply by you self a tub of vasolene and smear a good sized amount up the insides of the tank seams. Should keep them from cracking even tho they would probably be fine but better safe then sory.

hi, currently draining the 4x2x2 as we speak and i want to preserve some of the seals to stop them drying out. the tank will not be filled for a minimum of two years, but more like 3-4.

therefore, is there much i can do to the silicone around the tank to stop it drying out/cracking? anything i can put on it?

the same question applies to my 2 tetratec ex1200 filters. where are the seals and what do i put on them?

cheers

i cant think of any reason, except UV degradation, that would cause the tank seals to suffer too much. well just because its empty. as for the filter? i guess l would just replace all the o-rings, as a matter of course.

Most reactions

Back