"pregnant" Red Wag Platy?

GoldfishLove919

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I don't own a tank of tropical fish myself, but my sister, who is registered as CoryLover95 (I think), does, and we've lately noticed one of "our" Red Wag Platys getting rather tubby.  We own a pair of them and the other one, who seems to be a reasonable weight, follows her around ceaselessly, swimming on top of her and apparently bugging her without stopping.  We feed them both Omega One freshwater tropical fish flakes and the occasional diet supplement of frozen food, like brine shrimp or bloodworms, or frozen "freshwater multipack", all of which we get from Petsmart.  My sister is posting a topic with a picture of her too, which I will make a link to when she has it posted.

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated, because we will need to prepare and cycle a special tank for her live children if she is pregnant.

Thanks,

GoldfishLover919

If it is a male platy who is following her around then he is just being protective of his girl ;) Mine would follow my pregnant female incessantly and guard her while she slept. If it is another female I am not sure, where did you acquire these platys and were they pregnant when you got them?

If she's heavily pregnant now, you won't have time to cycle a tank from scratch. Just take the appropriate amount of media from your main tank's filter, and add that to the filter for the new tank.

By 'appropriate amount', I mean whatever % of the filter media that's currently supporting the fish; so if you have six fish, you'll need a sixth of the media.

Timberbatch said:
If it is a male platy who is following her around then he is just being protective of his girl
wink.png
That's a very sweet idea, but all he's actually doing is waiting for her to give birth so he can eat the fry and be first to mate with her afterwards...

Most reactions

Back