Pregnant Platy

MICKEYSWIFT

Reaction score
Hi it could be possible one of my platys are pregnant. I was just wondering what i would feed the fry?
Can you please tell me just incase.
Thanks

Theres lots you can feed them, many poeple I have noticed just crushes flake food to very fine pieces small enough for the fry to eat, some will use egg yoke from a hard boiled egg (but that makes your tank dirty really fast) There are others that use live baby brine shrimp. I use sinking tettra pellets that I crush up very fine so some will sink and some will stay at the top. Hope I helped :)

The most common new fry food is simply a flake or two of the adult food crushed between your fingertips. The resulting material, almost a powder, makes a decent livebearer starter food. If you have the foresight to do it, you can do even better by having some newly hatched brine shrimp for your fry. I have used a specialized BBS feeder contraption that can be used for feeding live BBS continuously. This is a picture of the continuous feeder in one of my tanks. As you can tell, the black chins in that tank though that was a great feeder.
black_chin800.jpg

The most common new fry food is simply a flake or two of the adult food crushed between your fingertips. The resulting material, almost a powder, makes a decent livebearer starter food. If you have the foresight to do it, you can do even better by having some newly hatched brine shrimp for your fry. I have used a specialized BBS feeder contraption that can be used for feeding live BBS continuously. This is a picture of the continuous feeder in one of my tanks. As you can tell, the black chins in that tank though that was a great feeder.
black_chin800.jpg

Never seen one of them before... How does it work?

It works by having a hatching chamber and a feeding path. The brine shrimp cysts, sometimes mis-labeled eggs, are placed in the hatching chamber where they hatch out to become free swimming newly hatched shrimp. Because they are attracted to light, you place the hatchery so tat when the BBS hatch, they are drawn toward the exit area, the little grid you can see in my picture. Because of the geometry of the device, the salty water and the fresh tank water are fairly well separated even though the BBS can swim from one area to the other. The end result is that a few hours after each individual shrimp hatches, it is swimming out of that grid area. It takes almost no time for the fish to discover where the fresh food is coming from. After they do, the picture looks much like I have shown with a bunch of hungry mouths surrounding the exit and snacking constantly.
Do not rush out and buy one of those things. An adequate hatchery can be made with little more than an empty soda bottle and a bit of air hose, although the feeding will be manual rather than continuous. Although the feeder works quite well, it requires a complete cleaning and a fresh set up about every 3 or 4 days. I own 2 of them so that I can set up and start using a new one every few days to avoid a pause in the BBS feedings. After I had my first experience using one, I managed to buy one dirt cheap at a club auction from someone who was obviously not too impressed with his.
These things are called HatchNFeeders and can be found at many of the typical on line merchants.

Most reactions

Back