Pregnant Platy

Concerned about her

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

les2412

Reaction score
Hi, I have just joined to see if anyone can help with advice about my pregnant platy, I was given the platy a couple of days ago, she is heavily pregnant, 2" in size but she is so swollen with fry, i have checked for the white anal spot and can only just see it no tube formed as yet, she seems healthy enough, I am just concerned about the size her belly is. I have looked at other photos and articles on pregnant platys and mine seems to be 4 time the size of the pregnant ones i have seen so far. I can see the fry in her and just wondered whether she has problems giving birth, she looks like she is about to explode with visible stretch marks on her, Could anyone offer any help or advice please asap, thanks Les

Sorry but that dose not look too good!!!

your honestly looking perhaps at an cancer or something to swell up that large

Sorry.

First off, who gave you this platy? What was their reason in giving it away? That platy doesn't look like her problem is being pregnant. Is she a ballon platy? That would help explain some of the way she looks but she still doesn't look like a normal pregnant platy. Do you see the gravid spot with small black spots which are the fry eyes? Does she eat alright and act normal? How much do you feed her?

Looks like dropsy mate, do the scales stick out and make the fish look like a pinecone when viewed from above?
I might be wrong about the dropsy but it's the only thing I could think of that would cause that amount of abdominal swelling and on the side on photo I can see something that could be a protruding scale. If it's not dropsy then it might be a tumour... I honestly don't know but it's not a normal pregnancy. The most fry I have ever had from a platy at once was 85 live fry plus 3 deformed/stillborn. I know very few forum members who have gotten that many or more, I think the record is about 100. 85 fry at full term was less than half that size.

What are your water stats (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate)?

Looks like dropsy mate, do the scales stick out and make the fish look like a pinecone when viewed from above?
I might be wrong about the dropsy but it's the only thing I could think of that would cause that amount of abdominal swelling and on the side on photo I can see something that could be a protruding scale. If it's not dropsy then it might be a tumour... I honestly don't know but it's not a normal pregnancy. The most fry I have ever had from a platy at once was 85 live fry plus 3 deformed/stillborn. I know very few forum members who have gotten that many or more, I think the record is about 100. 85 fry at full term was less than half that size.

What are your water stats (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate)?
I can answer that!!! LOADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most reactions

Back