Pregnant Platy * Picture Added*

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kjl

Reaction score
I got a female platy a few weeks ago. She is pregnant. Very pregnant. I thought 2weeks ago she was going to drop but never did. Then last Tuesday I noticed a fry in the tank at night. I expected to wake up to more but there was still the one. 2nights after it was gone. Probably eaten, it was not in the filter. BUT now to my concern. She has not dropped anymore fry! What is going on? Almost a week later and stil very pregnant ?!

Thanks

Maybe the fry was from a different female? I found some platy fry the other day which were obviously from my red wag female, but she never even looked pregnant! :dunno:

I only have 1 female. The only female live bear

If you found a fry around July 7, expect to see the next batch no sooner than around August 5.

She is still pregnant from the first batch

What do you feed your fish? I feed my fish flake food, and it expands when its in water, so my females always look a little pregnant because they stuff themselves when it expands in their stomach's they appear fatter.

It could also be that she absorbed the other fry. I've had that happen. For some reason they decide to abort the pregnancy pretty late and they absorb the fry, they stay big because it takes a long time to absorb x number of fry. I don't know if they can hold new fry at the same time as absorbing aborted fry though.

Just some suggestions that you could consider :)

Kjl, the female that dropped that first fry will be ready to drop again in 4 to 6 weeks. As I said earlier, expect her next drop no sooner than August 5. Platies cannot drop fry over a long period of time. They drop them all at once. The next drop should be expected at 4 to 6 weeks after the last one without exception. If you missed finding most of the fry, so be it, you missed them. Instead of looking for excuses, please prepare properly to preserve the next drop by providing adequate cover for the fry.
KrystaK, fish do not reabsorb fry, please remove take that from your list of possible reasons for missing a drop, it simply does not happen.

Im not looking for excuses. I'm saying she looks exactly the same as in still big and pregnant. I can't post pictures from my iPad but I can email them to someone that can post for me

Kjl, the female that dropped that first fry will be ready to drop again in 4 to 6 weeks. As I said earlier, expect her next drop no sooner than August 5. Platies cannot drop fry over a long period of time. They drop them all at once. The next drop should be expected at 4 to 6 weeks after the last one without exception. If you missed finding most of the fry, so be it, you missed them. Instead of looking for excuses, please prepare properly to preserve the next drop by providing adequate cover for the fry.
KrystaK, fish do not reabsorb fry, please remove take that from your list of possible reasons for missing a drop, it simply does not happen.

I don't think the poster is "looking for excuses", they simply don't understand what you are trying to explain.
Perhaps she ate her own fry before you got a chance to see them. She should already be pregnant again, as I believe they can carry fry several times after being with a mate. That's why she still looks the same :)

KrystaK has expressed this possibility many times in the past. It does not make it any more probable as a reason McCool. Sorry but I must intervene whenever I find it appropriate, not necessarily when I would prefer to do it.

KrystaK has expressed this possibility many times in the past. It does not make it any more probable as a reason McCool. Sorry but I must intervene whenever I find it appropriate, not necessarily when I would prefer to do it.

I was actually just referring to Kjl, not KrystaK...

So I guess I can't email my pictures to someone?

Most reactions

Back