Pregnant Platy , Need Advice

morningstar

Reaction score
hello , i have a pregnant platy , and im not to sure what to do with her , i have a large tank and a breeding trap , which has holes in the bottom for fry to escape when they are born , the problem is that if they go through there they end up in the tank with lots of other fish and they will probably be eaten , i have annother tank but it has no heater or filter , and fry like to be warm apparently so im really stuck , my friend suggested putting a clear plastic fish bag in the water and to put the breeding trap inside it , fill the bag and trap with water , put the mother in the trap , and when the fry are born they can go through the holes to escape the mum but stay in the bag to keep out of the tank , but they will still be warm as the heater in my large tank will heat them , is this a good idea?????

please help , ( sorry if none of that made sense )
thanks xx

have you got an ice cream tub or simialr?? wash it and dry it and chuck in plants ( floating as the fry (babies) will swim to the surface) then float it in the main tank ( fill it using tank water) you can leave her in there for a max of 24 hours or even better just over night while your not about, if she hasnt given birth then you can gently move her back to the main tank.. do u have any idea if shes about ready to burst?
make sure to keep the lights off as she will be very close to them if in that tub and may get stressed ( will show by acting eracticaly )
and if you see no babies by the morning ( put her in as you go to bed) empty the tub and refill it with fresh tank water the next time you need it ( prob tommorow night)

platys tend to either hide or totally the opposite... swim like mad up and down the height of the tank before dropping,so you may want to watch for signs of this

hope it all goes well for you.. reminds me when i had my first platys about a year ago and i sat up all night with the mummy to watch her :blush: was worth it tho :)

have you got an ice cream tub or simialr?? wash it and dry it and chuck in plants ( floating as the fry (babies) will swim to the surface) then float it in the main tank ( fill it using tank water) you can leave her in there for a max of 24 hours or even better just over night while your not about, if she hasnt given birth then you can gently move her back to the main tank.. do u have any idea if shes about ready to burst?
make sure to keep the lights off as she will be very close to them if in that tub and may get stressed ( will show by acting eracticaly )
and if you see no babies by the morning ( put her in as you go to bed) empty the tub and refill it with fresh tank water the next time you need it ( prob tommorow night)

platys tend to either hide or totally the opposite... swim like mad up and down the height of the tank before dropping,so you may want to watch for signs of this

hope it all goes well for you.. reminds me when i had my first platys about a year ago and i sat up all night with the mummy to watch her :blush: was worth it tho :)
thats great advice thankyou :) , im not sure when shes going to be ready but i think it will be soon , i cant wait , i will probably be up all night too :blush: i just really hope that the fry are well , and i made a mistake with my last guppy fry , by keeping them too cold :sad: but it will hopefully go fine
thankyou again xx

[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=253113#"]http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=253113#[/URL]

when you have time, have a look through that, may give you an idea on how far along she is :)

best of luck, let us know what happens :)
shelagh xxx
i had a really close look at her because people say u can see their eyes if u look close and i definatly saw one , i think she might give birth tonite or tommorow because they were big and her tummy is almost transparant , i will keep u updated :)

danica xx

Most reactions

Back