Pregnant muppy?!

Fisharefriends101

Reaction score
Hi! So 3 weeks ago I bought some new fish including this muppy. 3 days after I got her she gave birth to 18 fry. I noticed a few days ago that she’s started to look very big and boxy again, then today she became very reserved and hidden in the tank. I’ve been reading what I can online and due to her colour I don’t know if I’m seeing a gravid spot or not. I have placed her into a breeding box temporarily to get a closer look at her and incase she does happen to give birth soon. She has been pooping like crazy for hours in there and I know that can be an indicator before they give birth too.

So I suppose my question is, is she actually pregnant (or am I seeing things that aren’t there) and if she is, how long before she pops?

This complete beginner to tropical fish would appreciate any help!

Attachments

• 9AB77388-5A53-4F45-BB51-23CC0E00E456.jpeg
    9AB77388-5A53-4F45-BB51-23CC0E00E456.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 04637B66-3F2E-449E-8432-ED9697347C11.jpeg
    04637B66-3F2E-449E-8432-ED9697347C11.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 57
Hi! So 3 weeks ago I bought some new fish including this muppy. 3 days after I got her she gave birth to 18 fry. I noticed a few days ago that she’s started to look very big and boxy again, then today she became very reserved and hidden in the tank. I’ve been reading what I can online and due to her colour I don’t know if I’m seeing a gravid spot or not. I have placed her into a breeding box temporarily to get a closer look at her and incase she does happen to give birth soon. She has been pooping like crazy for hours in there and I know that can be an indicator before they give birth too.

So I suppose my question is, is she actually pregnant (or am I seeing things that aren’t there) and if she is, how long before she pops?

This complete beginner to tropical fish would appreciate any help!
if she is a "Muppy", than she is sterile and does not give birth. This looks like a "gold dust" Molly.

perhaps she did not release all of her babies the first time?

if she is a "Muppy", than she is sterile and does not give birth. This looks like a "gold dust" Molly.

perhaps she did not release all of her babies the first time?
I bought her in a very reputable shop and they told me that she is in fact a muppy. I was a little confused later on as I did read online that they’re sterile, but I have read about a few cases of them breeding after much digging around! I will definitely be going back and questioning them on it in the shop.

If she didn’t release them all how long does it usually take for them to release the rest?

I bought her in a very reputable shop and they told me that she is in fact a muppy. I was a little confused later on as I did read online that they’re sterile, but I have read about a few cases of them breeding after much digging around! I will definitely be going back and questioning them on it in the shop.

If she didn’t release them all how long does it usually take for them to release the rest?
perhaps muppy is another name for molly?
I only had guppies before, but mine released the rest after a few days (1-2)

First of all, I have to agree with Sgooosh that she doesn't look like a muppy but she looks just like a normal golddust molly. And looking at the bodyshape probably a sailfin female. Golddust mollies are also called panda mollies.
It would also be very rare if a store would sell muppies or gollies for that matter. And the majority of the guppy/molly hybrids will be sterile or less sterile. So, just a minority will be fertile. And that's got to do with the number of chromosomes they carry.

I myself don't believe (when looking at those pics) that she's a hybrid between molly and guppy. Could also be that the store kept both guppies and mollies together and that he/she thought that the offspring was across between these two species. For not every store owner or employee knows that such females can store sperm of a former mating(s). And then they just believe that when two species have been kept together, so it must be a cross. A mistake many people make. My own experience with socalled specialized stores is that there's still a lack of knowledge.

Most reactions

Back