Predicting/inducing Birth...

dirtyfishtank

Reaction score
How can I predict when my guppy will start shooting out fry? I would like to be around when she does so I can seperate the fry. I do not want to use a breeding trap etc. I understand the prediction since last birth to start watching about 3.5 weeks, but this is my first guppy and she looks likes shes ready to POP! Anything I can do to actually induce birthing? Such as increasing the water temp, adding/removing to the water quality. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Some times water changes will help. Can you post a pic of her? I can usually tell when they are ready to birth.

I'm not sure if this will work for guppies but for my swordtail I could see little black dots (their eyes) inside the gravid area. That's how I can tell.

Poor water quality, indicated by the prescence of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, will stress out fish. Stress in pregnant fish may cause them to abort fry, so good water quality should be watched especially for pregnant fish. Water quality is not something that should be watched just for pregnancy and birth. Water quality should be kept as high as possible for your fish in general.

Hi there,

take a look at my answer to

Guppy mom posted by puddle inc on common livebearers

Most reactions

Back