Predator Fish For My 29?

Rhykiru

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My 29 used to be a planted tank but i want to switch things up a bit :good:

What is a good predatory fish that i can put in there? I do not want to keep any puffer's though.

The filtration i would have on it is an xp3. I do have some extra aquaclears though.

Thanks for any help

what are the dimensions?
Erythrinus erythrinus are pretty cool preds

30x12x18 high.

Those fish look pretty cool o_O
Do you know a good source where i can get them?

Hehe, i think im getting another 29 this christmas. Sweet, i can have one predator, and the other will probably be angels.

you can have a ropefish in the and a young clown knifefish and out of that nothing else

you can have a ropefish in the and a young clown knifefish and out of that nothing else

Going to haved to disagree with you. Ropefish grow too big and need to be in groups which a 29 gallon can't provide. I don't agree in getting young fish in the hope you can upgrade later, the 29 would house it for a few months at best, so my advice would to be avoid clown knifes.

Exodon's might fit your needs, you could have a small school possibly, theres alot of options. Do you prefer a single fish, a single group or a mixture of fish?

how bout a couple of leopard bush fish. I'm not sure of scientific name Ctenopama or something. anyway peaceful enough, interesting when feeding and not super active so would not stretch the dimension of your tank

just thought why not some dwarf channa ( snakeheads)

I've got assam and orientalis and they are great fun to watch. you;d have to check for which ones are sub tropical

well, i guess i'll chuck my two cents in
spotted climbing perch are pretty sweet, but they get pretty big, so you could only get the one... two tops
Ropefish, you cooould have in a 30 gallon, but like shroob said, they do prefer to live in groups.
maybe something like an eel would be more to your likes (and ability to keep) a tiretrack eel is pretty sweet, and is surprisingly common
a crocodile fish, maybe... I'd get one myself but the requirements i find are a little high (very picky with their water and food)
piranha are also a possibility... maybe only one or two red bellies, but i'm not a big expert on them... since i don't like them personally...

or, you could go with what i would get, a bichir
a senegal bichir is probably one of the best you can get... easy to care for, gets nice and big (which i like!) but the only problem is, you could probably only keep it in there alone

so depending on what you want (quantity or quality) you may need to start looking at not only preds, but maybe something else... there's many cool fish out there, just depends on what you want

well, i guess i'll chuck my two cents in
spotted climbing perch are pretty sweet, but they get pretty big, so you could only get the one... two tops
Ropefish, you cooould have in a 30 gallon, but like shroob said, they do prefer to live in groups.
maybe something like an eel would be more to your likes (and ability to keep) a tiretrack eel is pretty sweet, and is surprisingly common
a crocodile fish, maybe... I'd get one myself but the requirements i find are a little high (very picky with their water and food)
piranha are also a possibility... maybe only one or two red bellies, but i'm not a big expert on them... since i don't like them personally...

or, you could go with what i would get, a bichir
a senegal bichir is probably one of the best you can get... easy to care for, gets nice and big (which i like!) but the only problem is, you could probably only keep it in there alone

so depending on what you want (quantity or quality) you may need to start looking at not only preds, but maybe something else... there's many cool fish out there, just depends on what you want

Not a tyre track they grow bigger than the tank. Potential size of 1metre!!! :blink:

not Red Bellies, they can grow to nearly 12" and are active swimers, plus they fight if in small groups.

i believe a Serrasalmus sanchezi would be ok in a 29g, iirc its the smallest commonly kept Piranha and can be very agressive

the rope is possible (i think) but it kinds of push it a little. i personally wouldn't have one in a 30g. the clown knife is definitely out.

exodons as suggested above is a possibility. you could probably have a senegal bichir in there but some people would argue that a 55g is better. regarding spiney eels you're down to only the smallest species which i don't feel are very much predatory just because vegetation if off their diet and they eat worms. bigger ones that take fish like the fire eel or tyre track wouldn't fit a 30g.

Most reactions

Back