Power Vac Gravel Cleaners

Gilli

Gilli
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a power cleaner for the gravel. This type is operated by a pump and removes gravel so you dont have to do a water change. Im concerned that it may not easily fit on my tank as it is a 250L and has a plastic 1 inch edge. also wondering how good they are and how easy and manouverable they are to operate?

Do any of you have it and recommend it - pic here?

Power Gravel Cleaner

doesnt look too bad.

I use a syphon gravel vac which has a clever but simple valve which means to get the syphon going you just move the vac tube up and down in the water, like shaking it.

Ive stayed away from the mains ones, dont like the risk of the water and leccy mixing...

I know what you are saying but id like to do a vac in between water changes as I have a plec and 3 messy ammano shrimps which poop a lot! I tried one of these battery powered cheap gravel vacs which recycle the water through a bag but it was useless! Also my tank is very deep 65cm (26 inches) so the max depth is a problem on these things.....

Hi Gilly. I have that gravel vac.

it doesnt "remove the gravel" as you have posted.

It works in the same way as a gravel cleaner that siphons water out of the tank, except this unit returns the water to the tank.

When you set the unit up, you pour about a cup full of water into the black bit that hangs on the tank. This allows a vacuum to form in the plastic tubing, which sucks water up from the tank. Eventually the plastic tubing fills up, and water starts cycling from the tank into the cleaner and out (water returns from the black bit into the tank via a "vacuum bag" that filters out bits from the water.)

Because water is being sucked up the tubing, the wide bit (the bit inside the tank in the picture) can be moved around in dirty gravel.. the water flowing will lift stones up and mine usually get halfway up the tube. But most importantly the dirt gets lifted from the gravel, and stays floating in the water so as the water gets filtered before being returned to the tank the bits get caught.

The "filter cartridge" bit is naff. It is simply a sock placed over a plastic frame. The "series of inclined planes" dont atract dirt. They basically make a frame up for the sock to hang on. The water passes through the sock and so dirt is trapped.

I have a Roma 200 and the "bracket" doesnt actually fit over the aquarium rim. It does however clip on just enough for me to be able to safely use it. It is by no means safely attached though.

Thanks for your reply. I meant to put removes waste not gravel - oops! :blush:

So does this mean you plug it in leave it for a few mins and then move it round the tank or do you do it manually? Also do you think they are worth buying as ive already wasted my money on one of the cheap other type.

Hmm, I really don't know, but if I could I probably would go for one (but keep the manual around for extra cleaning during water changes).

Hmm, I really don't know, but if I could I probably would go for one (but keep the manual around for extra cleaning during water changes).
not sure i like to do my owen by hand you no it is getting done properly and you dont get lazy and fish dont start to suffer when you get the hang of it it becomes normal not saying it is no good but nothing worth it it easy is it so hard work always pay off lol wazza

hi mate i have that cleaner and its grate much better with it being mains power also i have oscars and it cleans the tank like new also i put 1 of the wifews stockings over the filter bit aswell as thats what the filter scocs like just to make sure i would buy it as i had the battery one and this is so much better also it will hang n the side fi ne just wont sit perfectly straight

Over the past 2 years I have tried many powered vacs..........and noticed that both battery and mains, vacuum the water so quickly, you dont really have enough time to vacuum the gravel everywhere without extreme rushing around.
It doesnt take long to suck the water and dirt out..........and I normally only do 30% change every month, but top up weekly (from condensation). This is like opening a window for the fish........:)

Even the manual syphon vacuums, I still find with my tank, I have just enough time to vacuum everywhere...........anyway, just my opinion.........

hi mate the water gets vacumed then it goes through the filter sock then back in to the tank so you have as long as you want to vacume the tank i vacum every other day it take about 10mins and i do a 90% water change every tuesday as i have oscars think you misunderstood as the water stays in the tank and does not get syphoned out

hi mate the water gets vacumed then it goes through the filter sock then back in to the tank so you have as long as you want to vacume the tank i vacum every other day it take about 10mins and i do a 90% water change every tuesday as i have oscars think you misunderstood as the water stays in the tank and does not get syphoned out

Yes, you are right.........apologies, I dont use the sock, as I use my vacuum to also get water out to allow me to do my usual water change.........I have a manual syphon vac so they dont have the sock..........although the power ones do.......
I was referring to my manual one.......... :shifty:

Most reactions

Back