Power cut strategies

Negseven

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
if we get any power cuts due to shortages or whatever, I’m assuming my fish will be ok temp wise as the tank should retain the heat for a while (2-3 hours or more) most fish should be ok going down temp wise for a while, what about the filter and water agitation? Will that be ok for the same amount of time or will a safeguard have to be put in place? thanks

I guess the answer is 'it depends' as everyone has different tank sizes, stocking levels, water quality, cycle stability. But I don't see 2-3 hours being a problem generally. Heat and medications deplete oxygen so if if the power cut coincided with these it may be an issue. I have not needed it (fingers crossed) but have a cheap back up in the form of a battery operated air pump for peace of mind. I make sure I have a few of the right batteries too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0749L87CD/?tag=

If tanks are likely to get cold you can cover them with insulators - polystyrene, bubble wrap, blankets, towels... whatever you have on hand.

I guess the answer is 'it depends' as everyone has different tank sizes, stocking levels, water quality, cycle stability. But I don't see 2-3 hours being a problem generally. Heat and medications deplete oxygen so if if the power cut coincided with these it may be an issue. I have not needed it (fingers crossed) but have a cheap back up in the form of a battery operated air pump for peace of mind. I make sure I have a few of the right batteries too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0749L87CD/?tag=

If tanks are likely to get cold you can cover them with insulators - polystyrene, bubble wrap, blankets, towels... whatever you have on hand.
Thanks for the info and link

Funny I have been wondering the same thing lately and as I type this we are having a severe thunderstorm with high winds. While I have a portable generator I have only fired it up a couple times during the rare day long outages. Been thinking about one of those backup systems I use for the computers for about $150.00 off and on. Temp I am not concerned about but would like to keep one of the filters running and an air pump at least.

If it’s a long time, you can also manually agitate the water every so often. Not ideal but in a pinch it would help oxygenation.

The battery backup UPS that we usually install for our IT clients only lasts about 10 minutes or so. I have seen some air pumps that run on 5v (usb connection) and I would say there would be a battery power supply available that would go for a fair bit longer than that for 5v. A heater will suck a lot more power. If temperature is dropping gradually I would think the fish would be fine for at least a day or so, if it’s a normal room temperature.

Most reactions

Back