Power back up for tank (UK)

FriendlyGeek

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all 👋

I know there have been some discusions on here recently around the cost of living and rising prices everywhere, but I wanted to ask a specific question so started my own thread (hope that's ok).

We are in the UK and live in an all electric property (an apartment) with limited space and shared communal areas and I am becoming very concerned about what would happen to our fish if there was ever an outage in winter, because our place gets very cold. I understand that a lot of the media stuff is exaggerated and sensationalist, but I am genuinly becoming concerned about black outs - or even not being able to afford to feed the meter - so to my question -

Does anyone have any ideas of how we could keep the tank warm enough for a period of time longer than a few hours, if we were to lose power during the winter?

I have looked at battery back ups but these only tend to provide a couple of hours which wouldn't be enough (and they are very expensive too). Things like generators are no good because we donlt have the space and again, they cost too much.
I have heard that you can fill plastic bottles with warmer water, cap them and float them in the tank but would this realistically work? Are there any other low cost methods that anyone could suggest?

We are happy to not use the heating and simply wrap up in blankets ourselves but obviously we can't wrap the fish up nice 'n' warm in blankets and I am worried what will happen to them should we have no power for whatever reason, for an extended period of time

I know winter is quite a long time away yet but I want to prepare as much as possible because I know it is going to be tough this year :(

ETA: I have posted this in equipment but not sure that is the right place

As you rightly say, the media have become somewhat sensationalist with all this blackout stuff

However, if at all concerned, just save the polystyrene you find in boxes used as packing, go buy a couple of cheap blankets or buy a cheap double size duvet, chuck them into a cupboard "just incase" and should the power go out or the weather get seriously in the minuses for long periods, then wrap the aquarium(s) up.

I have spare blankets for the bed that are not used very much, if at all, but they are there just incase. I also have ginormous bath sheet towels too, so anything like that will work if you are in any way concerned.

I will watch this thread with interest as I lost 70% of my tank inhabitants when storm Arwen knocked out our power last year for 4 days......... I have looked at several things including a mini generator.

Good idea, I will start saving packaging!

We do have spare blankets but last winter we had to use them even with the tank heater on. My worry is what if we can't power the heater at all due to a black out? The blankets just won't be enough I donlt think. It may well come to the point where we can't top up the meter for periods of time too (we are on prepay and the costs are rocketing). We have candles, blankets etc. that we can use but I still don't think it will keep the tank warm enough without the heater.

Planning ahead, I've just ordered some small room thermometers so that we can keep an eye on what the room temperature is ....... do you know if the warm water in bottles trick would be of any use?

I will watch this thread with interest as I lost 70% of my tank inhabitants when storm Arwen knocked out our power last year for 4 days......... I have looked at several things including a mini generator.
So sorry to hear that :(

This is my worry too but I can't seem to find anything that would provide a good enough back up for that period of time unfortunately......the search will continue!

Not sure about your budget, or the availability of these items in the UK, but have a look here

I don't know. But I have read the use of frozen bottles to cool can shock (not that that's a problem here in Scotland) so I guess opposite might also be true, hot might shock too? But I really don't know. Also the tank will still continue to lose heat. A wrap would be better. I have even looked at rescue blankets (foil). I have also heard chemical heat pads can be used (sealed in a bag) but again no idea if they would work as desired. Would be nice to hear if we have any experts in forum with tried and tested methods.

If you have bottles of warm water, how are you going to keep them warm if the power doesn't go out...how can you store warm water unless you fill direct from the hot tap at the time of a power outtage etc? Remembering that some plastic bottles do not take well to using hot water in them and the chances of non dechlorinated water seeping into the aquarium when you are asleep etc

Polystyrene held on with string or tape on all 4 sides and the hood every night if really concerned

However....I do not heat my flat at all, in summer my aquarium heaters are off from end March til end October, I have had snow etc outside in winter and the aquarium heaters have not cost much at all and I have had powercuts lasting several hours and not experienced issues....my flat is well insulated, double glazed etc, I have battery powered PIR lights in the rooms incase the power goes at night and I need to get around without falling base over apex....never had any issue with the aquariums, they will hold their own heat for quite some time on their own but as I said, if concerned just wrap them before bed every night on a just incase basis but be aware that the heater will counter the insulation in the event of no power failures

Blankets and polystyrene does an adequate job if required. I really would not worry that much especially since we don't get major storms that often and if one is coming there is usually ample warning so you can get the blankets out ready

If you have bottles of warm water, how are you going to keep them warm if the power doesn't go out...how can you store warm water unless you fill direct from the hot tap at the time of a power outtage etc? Remembering that some plastic bottles do not take well to using hot water in them and the chances of non dechlorinated water seeping into the aquarium when you are asleep etc

Polystyrene held on with string or tape on all 4 sides and the hood every night if really concerned

However....I do not heat my flat at all, in summer my aquarium heaters are off from end March til end October, I have had snow etc outside in winter and the aquarium heaters have not cost much at all and I have had powercuts lasting several hours and not experienced issues....my flat is well insulated, double glazed etc, I have battery powered PIR lights in the rooms incase the power goes at night and I need to get around without falling base over apex....never had any issue with the aquariums, they will hold their own heat for quite some time on their own but as I said, if concerned just wrap them before bed every night on a just incase basis but be aware that the heater will counter the insulation in the event of no power failures

Blankets and polystyrene does an adequate job if required. I really would not worry that much especially since we don't get major storms that often and if one is coming there is usually ample warning so you can get the blankets out ready
Yes you are right! I do quite a lot of crafts and have noticed that some plastic bottles go very very soft with hot water in them so that is that idea scrapped......thank you for that reminder!

As you say, I'm probably worrying too much but I do tend to do that about pretty much everything lol

Thanks for the advice, any and all advise is always welcome :)

Do you own a car?
If yes, then you have a generator. All you need is a power inverter, available from any auto store. The power inverter gets plugged into the car's cigarette lighter socket and converts the 12 volt DC, to 220/ 240volt AC (or whatever the voltage is in your country).

You plug an extension cord into the power inverter and run it into the house. Plug whatever you need into the cord and go start the car. Turn the inverter on and you have power.

The power inverters can run without the engine idling but eventually the battery goes flat so you need to start the car up every now and then to keep the battery charged up.

--------------------
If you live in a cold climate then put 2 inch thick polystyrene foam sheets under the base of the tank, and on the back and 2 sides. If there is a power failure, stick another piece on the front glass too. And if really concerned, put a piece of foam on top of the tank to help trap heat.

Have 4, 5 or 6mm thick coverglass on top of the tank. The thicker glass will hold more heat and be less likely to chip or crack compared to thinner glass (2 or 3mm thick).

Have the fish tank by an inside wall so it isn't being cooled by cold coming through external walls.

Insulate the house and seal the room up to stop cold air getting into the room.

In the old days, they used to heat aquariums with candles and oil lamps that were on adjustable shelves underneath the aquarium. They light the candles or oil burners and have them underneath the tank. The heat would rise up and warm the glass and water. It's not something I would recommend unless you were really desperate to heat the water. Even then I would be concerned about the base cracking.

Most reactions

Back