Possibly Coming Over To The Salty Side

heavenly_d3vi1

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So, I've kept freshwater tropicals for a few years now, only coz I could never afford the salty side! I've now got a new 330L tank on the way that I'm hoping to use for marine, even if it takes me forever to gather all the equiptment needed.. after buying the tank, I'm a bit on the poor side at the moment lol.

The tank..

Features

Lighting unit; 3 x 39w T5 bulbs
Height added feature allowing for a larger viewing area
Built in five tray top filtration system
Filtration powerhead included
Cabinet included
200w heater included
Activated carbon, ceramic rings and bio balls included
Five filter flosses included to fit each tray
Aquarium cleaning tool, magnet cleaner and thermometer included

Specifications

Dimensions; 1207 x 477 x 745 mm
Cabinet dimensions; 1207 x 477 x 650 mm
Filtration pump; 900 litres per hour powerhead
Water Volume; 330 Litres

I've been sitting here reading through lots of articles and threads, but obviuosly nothing answers your questions aswell as firing your specific questions at experts, so I hope you dont mind being bombarded while I try and gain an understanding of all things salty! My first lot of questions in no particular order...

I plan to run a sump, I'm not sure what size yet as I'm not sure what the interior of this stand is like, and whether it has shelves and things in the way. I've read the article about sumps, which was great.. but I'm wondering if instead of drilling my tank, which tbh scares me too much, If I could simply run the plumbing straight into the display tank over the top? Would this work, if not, why not?

I'm hoping to go FOWLR in the longrun (probably corals too, but way down the line) but considering the price and amounts of LR needed, I'm wondering if it would be possible to start off with a small amount of LR and use external filters (as with freshwater), then build up the amount of LR gradually overtime before eventually gaining the full amount required for complete filtration? Mainly because I cant afford all the LR now, and dont want my tank to sit around empty while I save up to go and buy it all at once! Patience was never my strong point!

Is any of the equiptment with the tank, lights etc, not suitable for marine? which bits would I need to replace/upgrade?

:hi: to the salty side :good:

Couple of questions: what is the filtration system that comes with the tank, is it one of those in the lid things? Most salties do not use bio balls etc

You want 20 x flow for a basic system, so 20 x 330 = 6600 litres an hour ( iwould go for at least 25 x)

If I could simply run the plumbing straight into the display tank over the top? Would this work, if not, why not?

You can get an overflow box, but if you do this ensure you buy one that has an antisyphon, otherwise you will end up with an empty tank and a very wet floor one day!

I'm hoping to go FOWLR in the longrun (probably corals too, but way down the line)

So, plan for a reef, rather than fowlr, or you will end up buying two lots of equipment

but considering the price and amounts of LR needed, I'm wondering if it would be possible to start off with a small amount of LR and use external filters (as with freshwater), then build up the amount of LR gradually overtime before eventually gaining the full amount required for complete filtration? Mainly because I cant afford all the LR now, and dont want my tank to sit around empty while I save up to go and buy it all at once! Patience was never my strong point!

Ah my dear, patience is a virtue on the salty side and is required for success! Dont buy live rock from a lfs, it will cost between £10-£15 a kilo, be patient and get from a salty breaking down a tank at £5 a kilo. It is always best to add all your live rock at once, this avoids trouble with mini cycles

Is any of the equiptment with the tank, lights etc, not suitable for marine? which bits would I need to replace/upgrade?

T5 lights are fine for your plan as it stands, but later when you want corals that require more light you will need to supplement or upgrade. Are you buying a skimmer?

Seffie x

Thanks seffieuk :)

Couple of questions: what is the filtration system that comes with the tank, is it one of those in the lid things? Most salties do not use bio balls etc

I dont think its actually meant to be a marine setup, this is how it is desribed..

'This Aquarium tanks filtration system has five trays that can be filled with the filter media of your choice (activated carbon, bio balls and ceramic rings included). The filtration system is powered by one powerhead capable of 900 litres per hour that pumps water to a spray bar located above the filter trays. The option to add a further powerhead to the filtration is also available with a separate spray bar included that will increase the litres per hour turn around of your tank water. If you prefer you can also add an external aquarium filter to the tank in addition to keeping or removing the built in filtration as the hood allows for rear pipe work access.'

I'll probably end up not using it tbh, and going for external filters anyway.

You want 20 x flow for a basic system, so 20 x 330 = 6600 litres an hour ( iwould go for at least 25 x)

I guess I'd achieve that flow rate by spreading it over 2 powerheads?

You can get an overflow box, but if you do this ensure you buy one that has an antisyphon, otherwise you will end up with an empty tank and a very wet floor one day!

Yes, I noticed that in the sump article. I had a quick ebay search which only turned up 2 very strange looking things from hong kong! Do you have any suggestions for UK stokists that I could look at? and sorry to be a pain lol.. but why use an overflow rather than having pipes straight in th tank?

So, plan for a reef, rather than fowlr, or you will end up buying two lots of equipment

Sounds wise! Are there extra' things I'd need for reef over FO, or just different 'types' of the same equiptment?

Ah my dear, patience is a virtue on the salty side and is required for success! Dont buy live rock from a lfs, it will cost between £10-£15 a kilo, be patient and get from a salty breaking down a tank at £5 a kilo. It is always best to add all your live rock at once, this avoids trouble with mini cycles

I feared this would be the answer! :( And yes LR from LFS is indeed £12/kilo which works out at well, lots and lots of money! lol The only problem I have with buying 2nd hand, is living about 12 miles away from Lands end, theres never anything locally that comes up! I assume its not the kind of thing that can be mail ordered or shibbed from ebay without becomming just 'rock'?

T5 lights are fine for your plan as it stands, but later when you want corals that require more light you will need to supplement or upgrade. Are you buying a skimmer?

upgrading is fine, no matter what fish etc I keep, I know theres always going to be upgrade, whether needed or not!
As for a skimmer, I've read a lot of comflicting information, but yes I think I've decided on trying one, hopefully in the sump if it will fit.

I dont think its actually meant to be a marine setup, this is how it is desribed..

You might be able to run it with live rock rubble, phosphate and nitrate remover :good:

I guess I'd achieve that flow rate by spreading it over 2 powerheads?

Probably need at least three in a tank that size unless you are going to go with one mega one like a vortech, but thats silly money!

and sorry to be a pain lol.. but why use an overflow rather than having pipes straight in th tank?

Well, what happens, the make yourself a really good syphon, which can back flow, so instead of going into the tank, overflows the sump, hence and very wet floor and no water in tank if you dont catch it in time - look for the Tunze, you cant get much better and can sometimes pick them up secondhand http://www.aquacadabra.co.uk/Tunze-Overflow-Box-1074-2.html

Sounds wise! Are there extra' things I'd need for reef over FO, or just different 'types' of the same equiptment?

Good question, lighting needs are greater usually unless you stick with sofites and flow is also greater

I feared this would be the answer! :( And yes LR from LFS is indeed £12/kilo which works out at well, lots and lots of money! lol The only problem I have with buying 2nd hand, is living about 12 miles away from Lands end, theres never anything locally that comes up! I assume its not the kind of thing that can be mail ordered or shibbed from ebay without becomming just 'rock'?

You can buy it online and some old salts will post, just means you will have more die-off. You might be surprised about local stock though........

As for a skimmer, I've read a lot of comflicting information, but yes I think I've decided on trying one, hopefully in the sump if it will fit.

Get yourself a good second hand deltec mce 600 :good:

Thanks for all the info, I think that will do me for now! Hopefully I'll gather some of what I need then be back for more information on other stuff I need! Thanks again :)

Oh I'll also try and soursce some local salties selling up, do you know of any online classified type sites for marine equiptment?

It seems you were right, theres 3 people on that website from just down the road selling LR! If I bought some would sticking it in a tank of salt water be enough to keep it alive while I sourced other equipment, or does it need water movement/lights etc to live?

It needs heat and flow - many of us buy rock early, stick it in a container whilst we get all our other bits ready.

Seffie x

Ah thats good! I've just ordered a fluval 405, and got a couple of heaters already so atleast I'll be able to sit and look at some rocks in my tank if nothing else!!

:hi: to the salty side :good:

If I could simply run the plumbing straight into the display tank over the top? Would this work, if not, why not?

I'm hoping to go FOWLR in the longrun (probably corals too, but way down the line)

but considering the price and amounts of LR needed, I'm wondering if it would be possible to start off with a small amount of LR and use external filters (as with freshwater), then build up the amount of LR gradually overtime before eventually gaining the full amount required for complete filtration? Mainly because I cant afford all the LR now, and dont want my tank to sit around empty while I save up to go and buy it all at once! Patience was never my strong point!

Seffie x
in regards to the direct plumbing of an overflow check this out, it's a long video but worth watching and has great music and a nosey puppy............. http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=ILS2Ep5_8h0

Kevin

for some reason that 1st link didnt work i will try again............ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILS2Ep5_8h0

Seffies pretty much covered it all but one vital tool for a reefer is anti histamine tablets

As theyre always handy Incase a worm / the rock has anything nasty in it ( obviously you can were gloves but seffie will say no to that :lol: )

Also pet live rock watching is the best part of setting up a tank :good:

Atb bae

Most reactions

Back