Possible Tank Set Up Options. Please Help Me Decide

Nevergone815

Fish Herder
Reaction score
i know a lot of you "older" (as in experience) keepers are upset at the whole "what fish should i put into my tank?" questions. i have been researching a lot of fish recently and i have been wanting to set up a 40 gal planted with moss and such. also will have a sand substrate and caves for the fish to hide in. the demensions would be 36" L x 15" W x 16" H. i would have a Penguin 350 powerfilter (so i can use it when i upgrade my tank later instead of buying a new filter), a EHEIM Jager 150 Watt Aquarium Heater (same idea here for a bigger tank). i don't know what i should do for aeration (i don't know if the filter will do enough of it for me), i plan on having a hood that i can switch over to moonlights and be able to control the brightness.

well i just want to make sure that all of my fish are compatible and that they will all fit without overstocking the tank. i know that all of these fish can/should be able to live in similar water conditions

i will post the fish i want to get and the strata, time of day preferred, "potential" size that they can get, ph, temp, hardness and dietary prefference:

freshwater/vietnamese blenny: bottom (belly on gravel), activity unknown (comes out when senses food), 2", pH 7.0-8.2, 73-82F, 10-25 dH, carnivore (want to get him badly, i think he's cool)

3 green swordtails (1m, 2f):all strata, diurnal, 4.7", pH 7.0-8.3, 64-81F, 9-20 dH, herbivore

3 glowlight tetras: middle, diurnal, 2", pH 6.0-8.0, 75-82F, 5-12 dH, omnivore

3 "glowfish" zebra danios: middle, diurnal, 2.5", pH 6.0-8.0, 64-77F, 5-20 dH, carnivore (hopefully a variety of colors)

3 otto cats: bottom (glass mostly), nocturnal, 2", pH 6.0-8.0, 68-79F, 5-19dH, omnivore

panda cory: bottom, diurnal, 2", pH 6.0-7.5, 66-82F, 2-25 dH, omnivore [all of these cories i would

bandit cory: bottom, diurnal, 2", pH 6.5-7.8, 73-82F, 2-25 dH, omnivore like to have just

skunk cory: bottom, diurnal, 2", pH 6.5-8.0, 72-79F, 2-25 dH, omnivore one of each. would

adolfo's cory: bottom, diurnal, 2", pH 5.7-7.5, 66-79F, 4-19 dH, omnivore they school together?]

natterer's cory: bottom, diurnal, 2.6", pH 6.5-7.8, 68-75F, 5-16 dH, omnivore

salt and pepper cory: bottom, diurnal, 1.4", pH 6.2-7.5, 72-79F, 2-25 dH

albino cory: bottom, diurnal, 3", pH 6.0-8.0, 72-81F, 5-18 dH, omnivore

Amano Shrimp & Ghost Shrimp (3 of each) : all strata, nocturnal, 2", pH 6.5-7.7, 59-80F, 5-20 dH, omnivore? *they don't add to bioload*

stats of tank will be: pH 7.0-7.5, 75-78F, 10-12 dH

total length/bioload in inches= 36.6" i even have room to add!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

here is my 20 gal (long) idea:

well planted with moss and such. also it will have a sand substrate and caves for the fish to hide in like the other one. the demensions would be 30" L x 12.75" W x 13" H. i would have a Penguin 200 powerfilter (so i can use it when i upgrade my tank later instead of buying a new filter), a EHEIM Jager 100 Watt Aquarium Heater (same idea here for a bigger tank). i don't know what i should do for aeration (i don't know if the filter will do enough of it for me), i plan on having a hood that i can switch over to moonlights and be able to control the brightness.

well i just want to make sure that all of my fish are compatible and that they will all fit without overstocking the tank. i know that all of these fish can/should be able to live in similar water conditions

i will post the fish i want to get and the strata, time of day preferred and "potential" size that they can get, ph, temp, hardness, dietary prefference:

7 endler livebearers (2m, 5f):all strata, diurnal, 0.7", pH 6.4-7.8, 75-86F, 5-25 dH, omnivore

3 Variatus Platies (1m, 2f): all strata, diurnal, 2.4", pH 7.0-8.0, 64-77F, 10-20 dH, omnivore

3 otto cats: bottom (glass mostly), nocturnal, 2", pH 6.0-8.0, 68-79F, 5-19dH, omnivore

dragon goby/white cheeked goby (not the big 2' dragonfish goby): bottom (belly on gravel), diurnal, 2", pH 6.8-8.0, 59-77F, 4-16 dH, carnivore (want to get him badly, i think he's cool)

Amano Shrimp & Ghost Shrimp (3 of each) : all strata, nocturnal, 2", pH 6.5-7.7, 59-80F, 5-20 dH, omnivore? *they don't add to bioload*

stats of tank will be: pH 7.0-7.5, 75-78F, 10-12 dH
as well

total length/bioload in inches = 20.1" i'm a hair over but i'm sure it won't hurt!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

here is my 10 gal idea:

well planted with moss and such. also it will have a sand substrate and caves for the fish to hide in like the other ones. the demensions would be 20" L x 10" W x 13" H (will get measurements asap). i would have a Penguin 150 powerfilter (so i can use when i upgrade my tank later instead of buying a new filter), a EHEIM Jager 50 Watt Aquarium Heater (same idea here for a bigger tank). i don't know what i should do for aeration (i don't know if the filter will do enough of it for me), i plan on having a hood that i can switch over to moonlights and be able to control the brightness.

i will post the fish i want to get and the strata, time of day preferred and "potential" size that they can get, ph, temp, hardness, dietary prefference:

5 jelly bean tetras: middle, diurnal, 1.2", pH 6.0-7.0, 72-79F, 7-12 dH, omnivore

bristlenose pleco: bottom, nocturnal, 4.7", pH 6.2-7.7, 73-84F, 5-19 dH, omnivore

stats of tank will be: pH 6.5-7.0, 75-78F, 10 dH

total length/bioload in inches = 10.7" again i'm a hair over but it won't really hurt much!

i have decided to do a seperate tank for these:

maybe a 20 gal or so:

glass knifefish: middle-bottom, nocturnal, 7.1", pH 6.7-7.4, 75-86F, 2-18 dH, carnivore (i know they school, but can they be kept single? if not i don't really need to get)

and create a 55 gal subtropical for these:

i would prefer to get 2 dojo/weather loaches and base my tank around them (one M. anguillicaudatus and one M. fossilis): bottom, diurnal, but tends to be more nocturnal, 9.8", pH 6.0-8.0, 50-77F, ?-? dH, omnivore (putting them in a seperate tank by themselves or a couple buddies is an option)

1-2 hilltop loaches: bottom (glass), diurnal, 2.5", pH 6.5-7.5, 72-76F, 9.0 dH, omnivore (info provided by http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile91.html)

5 white cloud mountain minnow: all strata, diurnal, 1.6", pH 6.0-8.0, 46-77, 5-20 dH, omnivore

5 leopard danios: surface-middle, diurnal, 2.4", pH 6.5-7.2, 64-77F, ?-? dH, carnivore
(*these 2 should require the same things because it is beleived that they are the same species-just different pattern*)
5 zebra danios: surface-middle, diurnal, 2.4", pH 6.0-8.0, 64-77F, 5-20 dH, carnivore

stats of tank will be: pH 6.5-7.0, 72-75F, 9 dH

total length/bioload in inches = 56.6" i'm a little over but i'm sure it won't hurt!

definately getting a 5 gal for him alone (i'm getting him no matter what):

dwarf puffer: middle-bottom, diurnal, 1.4", pH 7.0-8.5, 72-82F, ?-? dH, carnivore (could i put a small tankmate in with it-or would this be trouble?)

here are my potential tank set ups. please let me know which ones you think would work best or which ones you prefer (personal basis).

is there any hope of combining any of these fish or even some of them? i think i might have too many bottom dwellers or not enough top dwellers. well, please respond quickly. those are my fish/invert choices that i want to get eventually.

please help. i might be getting the tank this summer and cycle it until next summer or so or only have a couple fish in there until then. i do plan on doing a fishless cycle so that won't be a problem. i know the rule of thumb is 1" per 1 gal but i don't want to cramp the tank either. slightly understocking or overstocking by a few inches or so isn't a problem for me. i can deal with that. i would prefer to have the best scenario.

any other suggestions would be appreciated...

the tank would have all the stats of a "normal" tropical community tank. i will gladly alter to fit the fish better (ph, alkalinity aka buffering capacity aka kh,hardness aka gh, temperature). i just don't want to set up the tank and purchase fish that will give me a headache later on.

sorry for such a long post but i needed to give you all of the info i can think of giving you to make your life easier.

mods... if i put this in the wrong place or a place that i might not get good info, can you please move it to the appropriate location for me?

all information (unless otherwise noted) provided by:
http://www.fishprofiles.com

Tetras need to be in a school of about at least 5 or 6 and corys are more happy and active in a school of at least 5 of there own kind,. there own kind being like 5 peppered, 5 panda and such.

Tetras need to be in a school of about at least 5 or 6 and corys are more happy and active in a school of at least 5 of there own kind,. there own kind being like 5 peppered, 5 panda and such.

i was always told that if a cory is with other cories (doen't matter what kind) that they will be fine and school. they just won't interact as much. also tetras and danios ill school together so i figured a group of 3 each would make 6. i have personally seen danios and tetras school together, also cherry barbs (which i won't be putting into my tanks). i have been told this also from other people.

i don't know :( i hear a million things from a million differet people. that is exactly why i decided to ask if these would be good setups

Most reactions

Back