Possible tank mate ,,,

Mr christopher

Reaction score
Hi guys ,,, recently set a new tank up,,,, 6 harlequin rasboras and 6 rummy nose tetras ,,,,
Are there any suitable larger fish that I could keep a single one if that would fit in here ,,,??

Attachments

• 20231126_210135.jpg
    20231126_210135.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 27
How large are you thinking? There are several small (and unaggressive) cichlids you could try (german rams, bolivian rams, kribs) or maybe a gourami (possibly a pearl, opaline, chocolate.... NOT A DWARF (I hate dwarfs, they look cool but contract fish tuberculosis and are aggressive). On the other hand, I would personally just increase the school numbers... 6 are fine, but bigger is always better! Do you actually have any ideas you want to approve, or are you just looking for suggestions?

Just suggestions I guess,,,,,, love all the small fish ,,, but just thought something bigger floating around would look nice ,,,,,, basically just thinking what larger fish could go in a 120 litre tank alongside a few small ones ?

Your first action should be to double the rummynose. This is a very tightly shoaling species and I would not go below 12.

Ok,,, does this apply for most schooling fish?? Pet shop said 4 would be enough!!! 🙄
The 6 rummy seem to be grouping up well with the 6 harlequins,,,, is that not enough over all or will they need more of their own ???

Pet shops do not usually know much of anything about fish. Do not rely on their advice, if you value your fish.

Shoaling fish or schooling fish when it comes to freshwater species refers to a fish that lives in (usually) huge groups. They must have a decent group or they will be slowly stressed, and often may become more aggressive. Studies recently have shown that a group of three and a group of five experienced these traits, sometimes very strongly, whereas the group of ten did not.

The rummynose tetra is a species that clearly shows this more than many others seem to. I would limit the group to 12, no further. The rasbora at six is probably in better shape than the rummys are. But keep this in mind for all shoaling fish, and this includes all characins (tetras, hatchetfish, pencilfish), corydoras, rainbowfish, and cyprinids (rasboras, barbs, loaches, danios). This is very general, but the fact remains that these fish do need a decent sized group.

Ok,,, does this apply for most schooling fish?? Pet shop said 4 would be enough!!! 🙄
The 6 rummy seem to be grouping up well with the 6 harlequins,,,, is that not enough over all or will they need more of their own ???
A lot of times schooling fish will school with other species out of what they think is necessity. They aren't making friends with the other fish. They're using them as a substitute for conspecifics. They really should be with more of their own species.
But the reward for you as their keeper is that a) they'll be less stressed so therefor healthier, b) you get to see behaviors in larger groups that you don't necessarily get to see in smaller groups, like males competing to spawn, and c) this is subjective, but I think a larger school just looks better.

Most reactions

Back