Possible Peacock Mantis Shrimp Tank At Hand! Strange To You But Ex

Shovelman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well, it seems all my comments and snickers of how cool a saltwater mantis tank could be is having its toll on my parents as they actually listened to the plan/ idea I had after spotting a what seems to be dream tank on craigslist!

My idea
A. buy the 48" l x 11" h x 14" ~seems like good dimensions yes?~ front to back 30 gallon acrylic tank from man for 75$ (would try and get it down to 50$)
B. Build stand to hold the tank and my previously planned (original reef nano idea) 20 gallon tank as sump since the 30g is pre-drilled with 4 outflows and 4 returns (will block off the other three. It used to be a 30 divided into 4 parts hence why the 4 out/in flows for an aquarium store, but the guy bought several of these 30 gallons and never used them)
c. Plumb the 30g to the 20g. Insert cool protein skimmer and refuge/ food holding center (maybe a single zoa on the rock closest to the light ) Put a return pump in and send it back up to the display tank.
D. Buy low intensity white/blue leds to play on top and prove bright enough to provide shimmer and viewing light only to avoid shell rot had i used high power lighting.
E. Pink Fiji sand, and lots of live/base rock. And rock rubble.
F. Pray that i can find a nice peacock mantis after cycling for a month or more that is not too much of a punch to the pocket as this is all grass cutting and snow shoveling earnings...lol
G. See if any of you have had success with feather dusters, or urchins with peacocks or even if damsels last long at all.
H. Enjoy the what could be low cost mantis tank as he happily smashes away hermits, shrimp and crabs knowing he wont crack the acrylic tank!
Thanks for reading the massive wall of text! The tank is a pretty neat find but found it funny how it matches almost all the requirements Ive been looking for. :fun:

Where does my lighting fit in?

Just asking.

Sounds like a cool, cool setup Shovel.

L

Where does my lighting fit in?

Just asking.

Sounds like a cool, cool setup Shovel.

L

Well if im going the peacock mantis.. i need to keep lighting at a low since high light seems to be a contributor with shell rot.. but if i wasn't to do the peacock or rather a few shallow water species still in the 30g i would use my 48" t5 light for the 30 as the 30g is 48" long ad then i can see if your light would work well with my medium to low light plants on my 65g.

Altogether, if i cant do the 30gallon then id just stick with grabbing your light and doing a 20g reef...

besides that lighting can anyone recommend some good (low cost hopefully) powerheads for water circulation and if theres a way to make the sump flood proof?

Most reactions

Back