Possibilities For 29 Gallon Aquarium?

Glass_

Reaction score
What are good possibilities for the 29 gallon aquarium, for an aquarium with the cichlids. I want to have some multifasciatus maybe, if they are good shell dwells for adding other fish too? Maybe the 'centerpiece' and some few more, what with the small colony of multifasciatus? If the shell dweller will not fit for the community setting, what is the other options for 29 gallon aquarium? Also, if there any special requirement with a link to a tutorial for cichlids tank?

Do you think the 29 is too small for housing of the cichlids, it is the largest I have at the moment so possibly another type if it is too small, or too difficult because of special requirements.'

Also, is it possible for the cichlid tank to look beautiful? Because some fish do not like plants, or beautiful setting they will ruin the rocks or sand. Any beautiful tanks or just rough looking ruddy tanks.

29 gallons is honestly small for a majority of cichlids. bu I think the ones you're mentioning will be alright. However, due to how small they are, and the water conditions they like, I'd keep them in a species only tank.

if you added a 'centerpeace' fish with small fish like multifasciatus, it would very likely eat them. And a majority of less aggressive fish that could fit that roll will not easily tolerate the high pH.

Ok multies only are a possibility then, but what if there were 0 multies in there, what type of cichlids maybe from specific Malawi or Tanganyika lake would be cool for a more community setting? Community setting, like different types of cichlids with the same aquarium in one. What it means that the cichlid will be 'centerpiece' too. Thanks for helping too.

Ok multies only are a possibility then, but what if there were 0 multies in there, what type of cichlids maybe from specific Malawi or Tanganyika lake would be cool for a more community setting? Community setting, like different types of cichlids with the same aquarium in one. What it means that the cichlid will be 'centerpiece' too. Thanks for helping too.

To my knowledge, none. Most african cichlids need to be overstocked with around 10-15 of a single species to disperse aggression so no fish will dominate and make life miserable for the rest, this meaning 55 gallons is a minimum. It'd also be hard to find your typical centerpiece fish species that won't be a pain in the *** to everyone else, and africans have a very distinct pH preference, which a lot of other fish do not like.

If you're heart set on getting cichlids of sorts, you can look into dwarf species such as rams, kribensis, and apistos cichlids, and use tropical semi aggressive or community for the rest. You cannot mix the kribs and rams and apistos, though, as this may cause territorial issues.

Alternatively, you could get 1 convict (or convict relatives such as HRP and T-Bar), 1 firemouth, OR 1 keyhole pair, and stock around them based on what they're compatible with. However, none of these are compatible with the dwarf species mentioned above, and you will likely have aggression issues if you mix them.

Most tanganyikan shellies would thrive in a 29 as a species tank. Ocellatus, brevis, ornatipinnis, all fascinating little fish in their own way. The extra height of a 29 means you could add some dithers like rainbow fish to the top of the tank, although I have 4 adult and 4 juvenile brevis in my 29 and have never felt like it needed anything else. They're like 3 inch long oscars, funny little fish!

What are the dimensions of the tank ? Length , width and height ?

have you looked at

exlamprologus caudopunctatus
Julidochromis dickfeldi

if the tank is 36" I'm failry sure that Paracyprichromis nigripinnis could be an option, there are even a few of the smaller Xenotilapia sand dwellers that are an option (if the tank is 36"), I'm not suggesting all of these, maybe 2 of them together.

Cheers, Sean

have you looked at

Julidochromis dickfeldi

if the tank is 36" I'm failry sure that Paracyprichromis nigripinnis could be an option, there are even a few of the smaller Xenotilapia sand dwellers that are an option (if the tank is 36"), I'm not suggesting all of these, maybe 2 of them together.

Cheers, Sean

29 gallons are always 30" long and 12 inches wide. I've never seen them exceed those dimensions.

have you looked at

Julidochromis dickfeldi

Cheers, Sean

29 gallons are always 30" long and 12 inches wide. I've never seen them exceed those dimensions.

Would depend on the height, my first tank had the same footprint of 30" x 12" and was 20gallons/95ltrs..........

Cheers, Sean

have you looked at

Julidochromis dickfeldi

Cheers, Sean

Would depend on the height, my first tank had the same footprint of 30" x 12" and was 20gallons/95ltrs..........

Cheers, Sean
Unless he made the tank himself, it's gonna be 30 long, 12 wide, 18 tall. 29 gallons are basically 20 gallon long tanks with a more standard height on them.

have you looked at

Julidochromis dickfeldi

Cheers, Sean

Cheers, Sean
Unless he made the tank himself, it's gonna be 30 long, 12 wide, 18 tall. 29 gallons are basically 20 gallon long tanks with a more standard height on them.

Pretty much whats been said, think mine was 15" high, this one could be 18" high, ?

Loving the multiquotes here :lol:

Cheers, Sean :good:

Yes, it is the standard 29 gallon aquarium. Those are the correct dimensions.
My options so far are:

-Neolamprologus Multifasciatus only.(they're too small, they'll get eaten by other fish?)(Might as well get a larger shell dweller type since I've got the gallonage)
-Rams, OR Kribensis, OR ApistosKribensis are the only standing option now
-1 Convict, OR 1 firemouth, OR 1 keyhole pair(Keyholes are the only left standing)
-exlamprologus caudopunctatus(Larger shell dwellers from what I read)
-Julidochromis dickfeldi
-Ocellatus, brevis, ornatipinnis(shell dwellers)

Questions:
What are my options for Kribensis, Keyholes, "Julidochromis dickfeldi", and either "exlamprologus caudopunctatus" or the brevis, ocellatus, and ornatipinnis, as far as how can they be housed together in different combinations? As well as others that can be added. These are all african cichlids right?

first keyholes are american. what you dont want is two shell dwellers. the caudopunks are half shelly/rock btw. So a combination of a shellie or caudopunk with some julies will work. A julie transcriptus may be better as they are smaller. i think some punks and julies would be pretty cool.

first keyholes are american. what you dont want is two shell dwellers. the caudopunks are half shelly/rock btw. So a combination of a shellie or caudopunk with some julies will work. A julie transcriptus may be better as they are smaller. i think some punks and julies would be pretty cool.

Thanks, so what I'm thinking is
1 male, 3 female caudopunks
3 female julies? or 1 male 2 female?
I put things into the aquarium stocker website, I think that's a relatively light stocking? It seems like the aquarium would look kind of empty, though, could I possibly add either more caudopunks or more julies? I'd imagine going any bigger than 3 inches with another fish would be difficult..

Volume or "gallonage" isn't so important if you're keeping shell dwellers rock dwellers, it's more about the footprint of the tank. Length and Width is what the bottom dwellers :good:
As previously suggested, shells at one end for some multies or other shell dweller and some rocks at the other for a couple of small julidochromis or caudopunctatus :good:

Cheers, Sean

Wait, so both of these are going to be more toward the bottom end of the tank? Julidochromis Dickfeldi will be inside the rocks, and the Caudopunks will be on the floor in the shells too? <___< Won't they, you know, fight for space, since the punks use the rocks too? And if they do all live on the bottom, then is it possible to have some other cichlid that lives near the top?

There's 360 sq. inches in the aquarium, that's 2 and a half sq. ft.
In summary, my remaining questions are as follows: How many of each would I be able to keep, Would the 2 fish types fight for the ground space, and Are there any cichlids that I could get to utilize the top area of the tank?

Most reactions

Back