Porthole Catfish

Barracuda518

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Im looking for some small catfish that wont get much over 4" for my tank. I saw some Porthole Catfish today at the LFS and liked the way they were acting. Anyone have any info on these? I looked in the catfish index and didnt see it listed. Im looking for size, temperment, feeding, do they like friends, etc.

I read some places they usually get 3-4" but sometimes over 4"

That article says they are kinda rare. At the LFS, they have them quite often. I think I might get 1 or 2, it says the do well with cory cats, which I have 5 of...

Anyone else know anything about these guys?

Thanks B)

All the Dianema species are very gentle peacefull schooling fish, very much like large Corydoras. They do best in groups of 3 or more and will benefit from a tank with lots of hiding places for them to rest in during the day.

Cool thanks. I do have plenty of hiding places. I went today on my lunch break and from what I could see, they had 3 of them. There was a big hiding place in the middle, so there might be more. You could tell they werent too happy being in that little 10 gallon tank, so I might have to fix that problem :rolleyes:

I just bought one today from my lfs the guy there said it be fine on its own but i have got 3 cory already so it will have company.

love the way its acting already

You really should get at least 2 more, company of another species let alone another genus is not a substitute for tankmates of their own kind with social schooling fish.

CFC said:
You really should get at least 2 more, company of another species let alone another genus is not a substitute for tankmates of their own kind with social schooling fish.
[snapback]884538[/snapback]​

I agree. Thats why I was asking so much about them. Im going to get at least 3, maybe more if they have them. They were all grouped together in the tank. They should be much more happier in my tank, which is 3 times the size of the one they are in now.

BTW, what is the best thing to feed them?

in that case would this tank be suitable for 2 more:

50 gal
13 neon tetras
10 zebra danio's
4 black widow tetra
3 cory sterbai
1 betta

????????

and i always feed my cory pellets and live food (including dry)

There is more than enough room for 2, 3 or even 4 more porthole catfish, all the fish you have are small low pollution causing animals which make very little demand on the filtration and aeration of your tank, go for it :)

CFC said:
There is more than enough room for 2, 3 or even 4 more porthole catfish, all the fish you have are small low pollution causing animals which make very little demand on the filtration and aeration of your tank, go for it :)
[snapback]884620[/snapback]​

Yep, If I had a 55 gallon, which I might be getting one from a friend, I would have a nice school of them. They will help the cories eat all the food thats left on the bottom. I cant wait to get mine :cool:

That would work fine too. Neons dont get that big, and look really good in a school. Plus the catfish hang out on the bottom. Just make sure there is room at he top of the water for them to go up and get air, they like to do that...

Good Luck :thumbs:

I picked up 4 of these yesterday. I was planning on getting 3, but there was one left and I got him so he wouldnt be alone, since these are schooling fish and like each others company. I know this is true becuase they stay together non-stop and are quite active. They like to sleep on top of the plants and stuff. Im very pleased with them thus far. They are like a big cory cat, very gentle...

Most reactions

Back