Poorly Tetra... Is It White Spot?

clown_loach

Reaction score
I'd appreciate some advice please about one of my little Xray tetras who I've noticed over the past couple of days being very quiet and wanting to be on her own.

I've had my aquarium since the beginning of October and from good advice on this forum, found out that I was in a fish in cycle - so just about every day I've been changing the water daily and testing the water. I've kept the water temperature as close as I can to what's been in the tank and some of these changes have been drastic.

This week the tests have been showing stable results :)

But I now have to help my poorly tetra. She's been bouncing off things, or flicking herself against plants. She then settles quietly somewhere. Yesterday she spent a lot of time down at the bottom behind the plants. Today she's up near the top and when fed a tiny amount earlier today, she hasn't eaten (I did see her eat a very small amount yesterday) while the others gobbled it all down within seconds.

She looks as if she might be breathing a little more heavily than the others and it looks like there may be signs of something on her skin, although I'm finding it difficult to scrutinise without causing her additional stress.

I've treated my Jewel Rekord tank with Interpet White Spot earlier today which I repeat in four days. The instructions also said I should turn up the temperature to 26 degrees C.

Is there anything else I can do?

Meanwhile my 5 other tetras look healthy and swimming around happily.

Sounds like Ich(White spot) to me.
I've treated my Mollies for it before. Raising the water temp. speeds up the lifespan of the bacteria causing the spots and a medication (I used API super Ich cure) And added a tsb of salt for every 10 gallons of water upon the advice of a fellow member on this forum - though I didnt get any info on how that helps, and I don't know if the salt did help, you may want to try it :)

The Ich cleared up in about two weeks if I remember - my memory is a little foggy tho so I may be wrong. But adding a little salt seems to be the only advice I can give if you've already raised the temperature and added medication. And do water changes before adding the medication. With the medication, be careful, it tends to stain decorations :/

Hope I helped. Good luck.

Sounds like Ich(White spot) to me.
I've treated my Mollies for it before. Raising the water temp. speeds up the lifespan of the bacteria causing the spots and a medication (I used API super Ich cure) And added a tsb of salt for every 10 gallons of water upon the advice of a fellow member on this forum - though I didnt get any info on how that helps, and I don't know if the salt did help, you may want to try it :)

The Ich cleared up in about two weeks if I remember - my memory is a little foggy tho so I may be wrong. But adding a little salt seems to be the only advice I can give if you've already raised the temperature and added medication. And do water changes before adding the medication. With the medication, be careful, it tends to stain decorations :/

Hope I helped. Good luck.

Thanks for this good advice KrystaK. Can Xray tetras tolerate salt?

Will be adding more medication in a couple of days at which point I also want to change the water.

Most reactions

Back