Poorly Molly?

ClaireR

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can help.... We have 3 black mollies, 3 balloon mollies, 3 guppies and 1 Platie. One of the black mollies for the past week is looking thinner, weak and is swimming with his body and tail slightly drooped. He is spending more time in the bottom of the tank (not on the gravel, but swimming low), he is still feeding, though its taking him more time to get to the top of the tank for food than the others. The balloon mollies were only introduced a week ago (similar time to the black one starting to look unwell), one of which was heavily pregnant giving us babies a couple of days later. We had the water tested last weekend prior to the introduction of the balloon mollies and all was well. In the last two weeks, we’ve also had an outbreak of green misty algae on the tank sides, but this is easily scraped away.. but comes back. Any suggestions on what can be wrong with our black mollie will be gratefully received!.

Size of tank in gallons or litres.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite,nitrate, and ph.
Has the fish lost weight due to not eating.
Being really skinny can be old age, fish tb, internal parasites, flukes, velvet.

Check the anus of the fish to see if its enlarged or red and inflamed.
What does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet.
Lost any fish to bent spines.
Is the tummy sunken in.
Any worms prutruding from the anus.

Tank Size : 240ltrs
He’s still eating, but isn’t racing to the food like the other fish. Definately skinnier than before.
Faeces are yellow / brown, normal, not stringy
No worms and anus doesn’t look inflamed
Not lost any fish to bent spines
Tummy could well be sunken ..its a bit difficult to tell as he is swimming “bent” with the back of him lower than the front.
We did a 35% water change this afternoon, the water stats after that are...
Ph : 7.6, Ammonia : 0, Nitrite : 0, Nitrate : 0

Thanks for your help.

Tank Size : 240ltrs
He’s still eating, but isn’t racing to the food like the other fish. Definately skinnier than before.
Faeces are yellow / brown, normal, not stringy
No worms and anus doesn’t look inflamed
Not lost any fish to bent spines
Tummy could well be sunken ..its a bit difficult to tell as he is swimming “bent” with the back of him lower than the front.
We did a 35% water change this afternoon, the water stats after that are...
Ph : 7.6, Ammonia : 0, Nitrite : 0, Nitrate : 0

Thanks for your help.

Here's a picture of him...

Attachments

• comp1.jpg
    comp1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 36
Thank you for your help.

We bought him 3 months ago, so I’m not sure on his age. The other two bought at the same time seem to be fine.

To avoid disease spreading to the other fish, would you advise any meds now or just to keep an eye out for other symptoms before adding anything. I don’t have an isolation tank.

He’s still looking skinny, slow and bent. All other fish are fine.

Do you feed any yellow foods.
Got to find out why he's losing weight, usually when there really skinny its internal parasites.
If he skinny it means he not eating, vitamin deficiency, old age, fish tb.
Any of your fish wild caught.

Unfortunately he hasnt made it. The rest of the fish are still happily swimming around, so it may have been old age rather than infection.

Forgive me as i'm relatively new to this, but what do you mean by "yellow foods", we've been feeding flakes to the fish so far and crushed flakes to the babies. Are supplements to their diet nbeeded?

Thank you for all your help with this.

Sometimes they can poo the colour of there food due to dyes.
Wondered with having yellow poo if you had been feeding any yellow coloured food.
Bless him R.I.P.

Most reactions

Back