Poor Silver Dollar/ Help

AlphaChad431

Reaction score
4F21360E-D491-4081-B919-CA24DE312F55.jpeg

Saw this poor little guy at a pet supplies plus near me. I was thinking of taking him in and trying to see if I can nurse him back to health. From the disgusting tank it lives in, I assume it could be fin rot or some other bacterial disease but also could be the victim of the Colombian tetras in the tank nipping at the fins. I would really like to help but I would need some help on how I could possibly revive this fish. Thanks for any help.

What tank size do you have currently and what is in it? Youwould need a large tank of 90 gallons+ to house it because it needs a school

What tank size do you have currently and what is in it? Youwould need a large tank of 90 gallons+ to house it because it needs a school
Currently I have a 15 gallon that’s set up and ready. I know it’s not adequate size for a silver dollar but right now the fish is pretty tiny. I have a 40g I could switch it over to if it were to get too big for the 15g. I have a local fish store that takes in fish so my plan would be to rehabilitate it and give it to the store where it wouldn’t have to suffer anymore.

Currently I have a 15 gallon that’s set up and ready. I know it’s not adequate size for a silver dollar but right now the fish is pretty tiny. I have a 40g I could switch it over to if it were to get too big for the 15g. I have a local fish store that takes in fish so my plan would be to rehabilitate it and give it to the store where it wouldn’t have to suffer anymore.
Hmmm how good is your local fish store at caring for fish?

Hmmm how good is your local fish store at caring for fish?
I would trust them a lot more than a chain retail pet store. It’s a family owned little shop but the owners are very experienced. They have a wide variety of fish and more than enough tanks suitable for its size.

I would trust them a lot more than a chain retail pet store. It’s a family owned little shop but the owners are very experienced. They have a wide variety of fish and more than enough tanks suitable for its size.
How big (apx) is the silver dollar now? And do you absolutely know that the local fish store will accept a very banged up fish?

How big (apx) is the silver dollar now? And do you absolutely know that the local fish store will accept a very banged up fish?
Probably 2 inches I would guess. They probably wouldn’t accept a fish looking like that but my hope would be that he grows his fins back and is healthy while I have him before I give it to them.

Probably 2 inches I would guess. They probably wouldn’t accept a fish looking like that but my hope would be that he grows his fins back and is healthy while I have him before I give it to them.
You use salt as medication right? Nothing harsh? Harsh medications can a lot of times make the fish worse...

You use salt as medication right? Nothing harsh? Harsh medications can a lot of times make the fish worse...
Yes I do have some aquarium salt that I would definitely use. Are their any other treatments that’s wouldn’t be harmful?

And you feel confident that you are able to nurse it back to health? Have you ever treated a fish before? (Sorry if I ask anlot of questions... I just want to make sure you are not going to make a big mistake

Yes I do have some aquarium salt that I would definitely use. Are their any other treatments that’s wouldn’t be harmful?
I think there are but I honestly wouldnt know... There are others on here who would probably be able to recommend other remedies... I think I have heard that garlic is a good anti bacterial for fish

And you feel confident that you are able to nurse it back to health? Have you ever treated a fish before? (Sorry if I ask anlot of questions... I just want to make sure you are not going to make a big
And you feel confident that you are able to nurse it back to health? Have you ever treated a fish before? (Sorry if I ask anlot of questions... I just want to make sure you are not going to make a big mistake
I’ve treated ick a number of times in many of my tanks before but I’ve never dealt with fin rot. I would definitely be very proactive with maintaining its health and treating it if I were to take it in tho. I realize tho that it’s condition could be so bad that it’s not worth saving but I would like to try!

I’ve treated ick a number of times in many of my tanks before but I’ve never dealt with fin rot. I would definitely be very proactive with maintaining its health and treating it if I were to take it in tho. I realize tho that it’s condition could be so bad that it’s not worth saving but I would like to try!
What all do you have in the ready tank? Is it empty or will it only be for the silver dollar? And by ready do you mean it is already cycled?

What all do you have in the ready tank? Is it empty or will it only be for the silver dollar? And by ready do you mean it is already cycled?
Currently I have 2 white skirt tetras in there which could be a problem but I could move them if it’s a problem. And yes my tank has been up and running for over 2 years now and the parameters were fine last time I checked.

Currently I have 2 white skirt tetras in there which could be a problem but I could move them if it’s a problem. And yes my tank has been up and running for over 2 years now and the parameters were fine last time I checked.
Ok, what I would do if youre serious about this is move the fish that are currently in the tank to a separate one (and also get the tetras some friends... their lonely) and then to be sure, get some bottled bacteria to cover for any bacteria missing for the extra bioload... Then you can add the silver dollar and start the treatments... I will wish you and the silver dollar luck and pray he does well...

Most reactions

Back