Pleco Was Attacked- Help?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TehOtter

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just recently bought my first aquarium and 3 fish. The aquarium is a 10 gallon. It is stocked with an African Cichlid (less than an inch in length), a Dinosaur Bichir (1.5 inches), and a Hifin Spotted Pleco (also less than an inch). Please, before I get any angry replies about overstocking or having a small tank, realize I will be upgrading to a 50 gallon once they grow to about 3-5 inches. I keep the tank temperature around 78 degrees and I haven't done any chemistry in the tank (I don't have a water testing kit as of yet.) The fish have been in the tank for about 3 weeks now and I've been feeding twice a day.

While researching, I came across information stating that a pleco is rarely attacked by other fish because an adaptation of spikes on their fins. However, I noticed during feeding today that the Pleco's dorsal fin and right side fin have become severely damaged. I have removed him from the tank and placed him in a 1 gallon with a piece of driftwood and some hiding places for him to feel secure.

What are some things that I can do to help him heal and feel secure?

Thank you

Have you cycled the tank? And although I realise you intent to upgrade you have to bear in mind fish might not just carry on growing to the sizes you have indicated, some may grow faster than others and become stunted or become stunted before they reach these sizes.

Edit: what kind of African cichlid is it?

The best thing now would be to start reading about cycling a tank and nitrogen cycle, but just before you dig into it for hours :fun: , do a 90% water change with dechlorinated, temperature matched water(from a kettle or the tap) to remove the poisonous ammonia and nitrite that's killing your fish(put the pleco back in the main tank) too.
Your fish are being poisoned and your pleco is experiencing fin ror caused by the poisonous ammonia and nitrites present in a non-cycled tank.

Here is a good source of info and ask as many questions as possible. There are members here that can help a lot:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/

Unfortunately, I did not cycle the tank. I am extremely new to keeping fish.

The cichlid may be a hybrid, I purchased him from Walmart. The closest I can identify him to are the Powder blue and Melanochromis African Cichlid.

How do you know before the fish become stunted?

The best thing now would be to start reading about cycling a tank and nitrogen cycle, but just before you dig into it for hours :fun: , do a 90% water change with dechlorinated, temperature matched water(from a kettle or the tap) to remove the poisonous ammonia and nitrite that's killing your fish(put the pleco back in the main tank) too.
Your fish are being poisoned and your pleco is experiencing fin ror caused by the poisonous ammonia and nitrites present in a non-cycled tank.

Here is a good source of info and ask as many questions as possible. There are members here that can help a lot:

Thank you, I will do that immediately. Are you sure it's a good idea to place the pleco back in? I'm pretty sure the other fish are attacking him.

Thank you, I will do that immediately. Are you sure it's a good idea to place the pleco back in? I'm pretty sure the other fish are attacking him.

If you've seen them attacking the pleco, then he shouldn't live with them at all and I would return one of the fish, but he definately won't survive in an uncycled 1 gallon tank with no heater,filter and oxygen. Is he very small compared to the cichilid? I've seen a video of plecos in a piranha tank and as far as I know they can withstand their ground with predatory fish. Mine is in a peaceful community tank so I can't tell. I would add a lot of decorations/plants as possible to limit the line of sight if there's any aggression. The pleco would appreciate some driftwood/caves to hide in or under. The fish also can become more aggressive when there is stress like poor water conditions is involved.

The pleco has been re-homed to my aunt with a 55 gallon tank with no predatory fish. He survived the night and has been moving around happily in the tank. Thank you for your help in the matter it is very well appreciated :)

Most reactions

Back