Pleco ran out of food...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

attack

Reaction score
Hello!
I have a fresh water aquarium and my pleco has eaten soooo much! All of the algae is gone! I think you can put slices of fruit elasticed to a rock down on the bottom for them to eat. Is this what I should do? What fruit? Should I put some sort of algae starter in???

Thx
Zac :fun:

Fresh veg is god and it can be trial and error to see what types of veg the fish prefer...
However, it is also possible to get algae wafers that might be good for him!
Welcome to the forum by the way!!

what type of plec and how big? commons as they get bigger need some meat and most like bogwood to chew on. I feed my plecs peas, lettuce and cucumber but they will try anything green. The harder stuff may need to be lightly boiled to soften it.

Oh, and if you havent any algae on the glass left then you can supplement it with algae wafers.

black angel said:
what type of plec and how big?
[snapback]871365[/snapback]​

Well I'm not really sure, just labeled as "pleco"...lol It is just a marine one I guess and its about the size of a regular tadpole. Hows that???

And Thanks for welcoming me!
LOL
Zac

Heh, he wouldn't be marine, since marine refers to salt water fish, but what we find works best for our plecos at the store (we have some wild cought Columbian plecos) is mopani drift wood, it tends to turn the water a tea colour for a little while but its perfectly safe for the fish and plecos will feed off it if there is no algae for them to eat.

Or you can just grow some algae, leave a jar of tankwater by a window until you get some. Easy peasy, you could probably even freeze it for a more natural diet.

OohFeeshy said:
Or you can just grow some algae, leave a jar of tankwater by a window until you get some. Easy peasy, you could probably even freeze it for a more natural diet.
[snapback]871958[/snapback]​

how long does it take to grow i might try it

grow some alge and feed some alge wafers.They love cucumber,lettuce and veg like that! experiment and find out what he likes

evofish said:
OohFeeshy said:
[snapback]871958[/snapback]​

how long does it take to grow i might try it
[snapback]872027[/snapback]​

A few days to a week, not very long. Then just break off bits and weigh i down in the tank, very cheap (well, free) and healthy food.

Most reactions

Back