Pleco Advice Wanted

aquamike

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wanted to obtain good advice for successfully keeping a pleco or two. I like the gold nuggets, clowns, and royals.

Is bogwood a must? If so, does the wood change any water parameters?

How long before a pleco should be introduced to a new tank? Ofcourse, the tank would be properly cycled first.

What is the best feeding methods?

Any other advice will be greatly appreciated,

Mike

i cant say that bogwood is a must, but it can look good. give it a soak for some time, in old tank water, this will show if it is leaching anything. lol some bogwood needs soaked just to sink!

all three of my plecs were introduced before my tank was mature, 6 months plus, and they are fine fish now.

plecs are bottom feeders, lol and side feeders, mine eat ground pellets, fallen flake, fresh peas, cucumber, weighted with plant lead, and fresh chicken!

Advice?? plecs are dirty fish, you can follow the path of your fish, using the trail of poo it leaves. so i would suggest you upgrade your filtration, your filter is rated for 80 or so gallons. IMO its worth having a filter, or filters, that give you about double the rating of your tank capacity.

merry christmas!

All I know is that you NEED wood for Royals, they will die with out it. Panaques are VERY messy and their will be saw dust all over your gravel so weekly gravel vacs are a must.

If you want clowns or royals (or any of the panaque family, even some hypostomus - like rusties) you have to have bogwood as it forms the main part of their diet. But personally I'd say with any plec you should have some about - as they rasp on it for the fibre.

If this will be your first plec, I wouldn't go for the gold nugget unless you can get a larger specimen from a private home, rather than from the LFS. They're notoriously hard to acclimatise after being shipped, and many of us who've got youngsters have lost them within weeks of getting them from the LFS. Basically when they're in transit for a long time, their gut flora dies off, and while their body desperately tries to replace it in their new home, they can die of what is effectively starvation. Same can be said for some other plecs too (including royals, although not to the extent of the GN). So if you're getting one of the more sensitive plecs from the LFS - always check it's got a nice tummy on it - not concave, no sunken eyes (although by the time they've got these death is pretty inevitable apparently), and that they've had it in the shop for a couple of weeks - and have got it eating well.

Also one other thing to remember is that if you're wanting panaques, they cant have a high level of protein as it can kill them - so if you want to add other plecs that are omnivores or prefer more meat, they wont be compatible. Some folks get away with it, but it can cause real problems long term, according to those in the know.

Hope that's of some help - good luck deciding, there's so many beautiful plecs out there, it's great to see someone else interested in them - and with a decent sized tank to provide for some of the bigger fellas! :hi:

If you want clowns or royals (or any of the panaque family, even some hypostomus - like rusties) you have to have bogwood as it forms the main part of their diet. But personally I'd say with any plec you should have some about - as they rasp on it for the fibre.

If this will be your first plec, I wouldn't go for the gold nugget unless you can get a larger specimen from a private home, rather than from the LFS. They're notoriously hard to acclimatise after being shipped, and many of us who've got youngsters have lost them within weeks of getting them from the LFS. Basically when they're in transit for a long time, their gut flora dies off, and while their body desperately tries to replace it in their new home, they can die of what is effectively starvation. Same can be said for some other plecs too (including royals, although not to the extent of the GN). So if you're getting one of the more sensitive plecs from the LFS - always check it's got a nice tummy on it - not concave, no sunken eyes (although by the time they've got these death is pretty inevitable apparently), and that they've had it in the shop for a couple of weeks - and have got it eating well.

Also one other thing to remember is that if you're wanting panaques, they cant have a high level of protein as it can kill them - so if you want to add other plecs that are omnivores or prefer more meat, they wont be compatible. Some folks get away with it, but it can cause real problems long term, according to those in the know.

Hope that's of some help - good luck deciding, there's so many beautiful plecs out there, it's great to see someone else interested in them - and with a decent sized tank to provide for some of the bigger fellas! :hi:

Thanks Lisa. You sound very knowledgeable with plecos. I will take your advice and find some bogwood before getting any plecos. As far as the gold nuggets go, my cousin owns a tropical fish store and he has had a few gold nuggets in this one tank for a month or so. They look healthy and if i would buy one and had a problem, my cousin would help or replace. I'll have to give him a call to see if he has got some bogwood.

MIKE :good:

Most reactions

Back