Plec Id Please

tjacksonpfc

Reaction score
Hi all newbie here. I'm after some help please We got a plec for our tank from lfs. The tank just had plec written on it no other name or details. I've been looking online trying to find out what type of plec he is but they all look alike to me. So I thought I would ask the experts. Can anyone id pleccy for me many thanks :D

031-1.jpg

030-1.jpg

First instinct is to say just a common plec if there was no label.
Looking at the colour pattern however, I'm inclined to go with perhaps a gibbiceps.

He does seem slightly washed out though, perhaps let him settle in a bit more and then post another picture, just for reference purposes.

Thanks for the reply picture quality isn't great as had to do it on my phone as he has a habit of hiding from cameras :/ .
He was this colour when we got him had him about 2 weeks now he is feeding really well and active i assumed this was the colour he was meant to be is that not the case then :S

Looking at the colour pattern however, I'm inclined to go with perhaps a gibbiceps.

He does seem slightly washed out though, perhaps let him settle in a bit more and then post another picture, just for reference purposes.

Your correct it's a gibbicep or sailfin whichever you want to reference it as lol

Hope you have a large tank ;)

The only reason I say he's washed out is simply because there's a slightly whiter patch on him.
If he's been like it for 2 weeks now, then that's just his colour, nothing to worry about.
Sorry, didn't mean to scare you.

Your correct it's a gibbicep or sailfin whichever you want to reference it as lol

Hope you have a large tank ;)

Thanks for that we have a 150ltr tank at mo but as soon as decorating in living room is finished will be getting a 500ltr hope that is big enough. How big exactly will he grow :blink:

The only reason I say he's washed out is simply because there's a slightly whiter patch on him.
If he's been like it for 2 weeks now, then that's just his colour, nothing to worry about.
Sorry, didn't mean to scare you.

Thats ok no worries hes a lovely colour i think hes brilliant :)

The gibbs can reach 50cm long, but the average is more in the 30cm region.
The min they get to is about 20cm.

Edit: 500L would be smashing.

mine used to change colour all the time, nothing to worry about. he still does in my mates tank as i had to donate him to a bigger tank. stunning fish, shame they get so big. mine was just the right size......

Most reactions

Back