Please Help

hok

Reaction score
Hi, I have had a betta, Oscar, for about a year now and the last time I changed his water, he started to look like this
http://pets.webshots.com/album/561840044kKOCAM
I always keep the tank clean, changing the water about once a week and I have a filter running in it. This started about three weeks ago and he doesnt look as bad as in the pictures but he keeps getting bigger. I have had him on an antibiotic, maracyn-two, for about two weeks but it is not helping at all. He still basically acts the same, eats normally, etc., I just cant get the swelling to go down. Is this dropsy or some other disease.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. This is my first fish and I hate seeing him like this, if I am doing anything wrong, please let me know.

Hi, I have had a betta, Oscar, for about a year now and the last time I changed his water, he started to look like this
<a href="http://pets.webshots.com/album/561840044kKOCAM" target="_blank">http://pets.webshots.com/album/561840044kKOCAM</a>
I always keep the tank clean, changing the water about once a week and I have a filter running in it. This started about three weeks ago and he doesnt look as bad as in the pictures but he keeps getting bigger. I have had him on an antibiotic, maracyn-two, for about two weeks but it is not helping at all. He still basically acts the same, eats normally, etc., I just cant get the swelling to go down. Is this dropsy or some other disease.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. This is my first fish and I hate seeing him like this, if I am doing anything wrong, please let me know.

It's not dropsy. If it were dropsy his scales would be pineconed out from his body. The swelling looks hard and compact and my guess is that he has a tumour or internal parasites. You might want to try Jungle Parasite Clear just in case. The poor guy .... :(

Thank you, I didnt think it was dropsy either, for the same reason, no pineconing, but the pet shops kept telling me thats what it was. I am thinking parasites too, like in Malowian??? bloat. Thank you very much I will try that treatment first thing in the morning.

Changed the water this morning, put in new rocks, plants, hiding spots, and also added some parasite clear. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again.

In case I have to, is there a humane way to euthanize? I hate even talking about this but Oscar keeps increasing in size and I am afraid he is going to literally detonate. I dont want him to go out like that.

Thanks, and I am really impressed by all the helpful information I have found on this site. You guys are like fish out of water! I have learned alot in the last 24 hrs. I dont think I could do any of those methods to Oscar. I know he is just a fish, but he has personality to me, and he is my friend. If it comes down to it I will pay a vet to do it. Hopefully they have access to and use the most humane method.

I am not sure what color his excrement is Helen, but everything seems the same. I havent noticed any obvious differences. He does still basically act the same. He doesnt flare his fins like he used to or his gills when he sees his refelction, and he has some trouble swimming, but I believe these problems are due to the mass. He eats the same though and still surfaces for air like he used to. I cant figure it out. Hopefully this parasite treatment works.

How long do your bettas usually live? I read that their average lifespan is 2-3 years and that when you buy them at the store they are already about 9 months old. Does this sound right?

maby you are over feeding him, bettas are pigs and WILL eat till they explode try just feeding him ,, half a shelled cooked garden pea.just the inside part . it might help him poop

also,, anothe way to humanily do a fish in if to get a fairly deep bowl of water,, put it in the freezer till it gets a crust of ice you have to poke a hole in,,,poke the hole in the freezing cold water and put him in,, it will instantly be gone with out a wait,, and sorry but i doubt a vet would even bother with a fish :(

Thanks azulfire24, I will try that pea trick. I only feed him about 6-8 of the betta bites (little round pellets) per day. I also noticed his excrement today and it was a tannish brown color and about .5 cm. in length.

oh btw huni, the post above urs about the freezing thing, if it comes to it, dont do that, thats a cruel way to euthanize a betta

good luck xx

also,, anothe way to humanily do a fish in if to get a fairly deep bowl of water,, put it in the freezer till it gets a crust of ice you have to poke a hole in,,,poke the hole in the freezing cold water and put him in,, it will instantly be gone with out a wait,, and sorry but i doubt a vet would even bother with a fish :(

Why do you say this, its utter crap!

its not instant at all and your fish is in a massive amount of pain and shock before he does go...get it right before youtell others to do it

READ THIS!

Hey guys I have a feeling I may have hit a nerve here with the euthanasia topic. I am sorry for bringing it up, I really meant it as an absolute last resort and to be honest I havent really seen a method I like or could really carry out. I may just let nature take its course. I cant really tell if he is suffering or not. He doesnt act that different. He even started flaring again! Thanks for all the help but I really started this thread to get ideas to help Oscar, I didnt want to start an argument over euthanasia. If anyone knows what is wrong with Oscar or has any more ideas to help him please let me know. Thanks.

Most reactions

Back