Please Help! Asap

rayza

Reaction score
Hello all, i recently have sett up a new tank
everything was going fine untill i brought some bog wood, i left the wood in water over night
befor i put it in my tank and everything was fine!!!!! as you can see from the first pic......
which is here

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2PPMYYW...S206YM00QZXWGVS

then i noticed after 2 days that it was really discoloured so i done a 50% water
change and the a 25% water change 2 days later and this is what it looks like now

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2PZKKH3...HB38OVOZJODOXV1

Will the water ever go clear as i do not want to put any fish in it untill i get it right!!!!!!!
and if i do put any fish in will the coloured water harm them????? :sad:

That is allot of wood for that size of tank, but you can still keep it all, you NEED to :

1) take all wood out, boil it for as long as is practical in treated water, about 20 minutes is good.

1.1) do a 80% water change if you have no fish yet, do daily 20% changes if you have fish

2) any wood that is too big to boil: you need to put it in a bucket and fill with hot decholrinated water, use about 70% hot water treated water from the tap, and then use 30% boiled treated water from your stove

3) soak overnight in this hot water

4) drain all water and then soak all wood again in hot water (boiling is not necassary this time)

5) ALLWAYS USE TREATED WATER FOR SOAKING AND BOILING(if fish are going to be in soon)

6) I AM replying quick so please accept spelling mistakes

7) Keep soaking wood in hot water, changing the water about every 4 hours for about 24-48hrs, utill the water that the wood is soaking in is almost clear after 4 hrs of soaking./...

8) I have had wood that was "clean" after 4 hrs of soaking, I have had wood that took 90 hrs to "clean"; it depends on the amount of tanic acid in the wood, how thick the wood is, the type of wood, and if any oil or other impurities were in the wood to start....

Note: these are extreme measures for your water to be clear, where I live the tanic acids combining with my tap water Ph of 7.8 is no concern to me, so follow the above advice only if you want clear water, the dark water is not a concern for the fish I have kept...

Hi,

Other than soaking it all for weeks you could just add carbon to the filter and this along with your weekly water changes of 25% will remove the tannins gradually. The fish won't mind the colour, lots of fish live in tea coloured water in their natural habitat.

Emma :)

well i think newfishaddict has got it pretty much covered

ah, this happened to me too! isnt it annoying? It cleared up after a few weeks for me :)

yip, same thing happened to me too, i soaked mine but there was still some discolouration.

as far as i know (don't take this as gospel!!) it doesnt do any harm.

it's just annoying with the colour change, but it will clear up with water changes.

love

ales xx

Thank you all for you help!!!! hopefully with everything that was said i should have a nice clean tank soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
once again thanks

Also make sure to use small pouches of carbon at the first sign of slight discoloration afterwards

Most reactions

Back