Please Could Someone Id My New Fish Please

silicon

Reaction score
please could somebody ID my new fish, the LFS said it would grow to around 7-8 inches.

Thanks all,

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 52
hey, thanks,ats whjat the fish label said in store but i couldnt remember the name of it!

Cheers

You better watch out with that fish if they're anything like their close relative the leaf fish it will be very agressive and eat small fish.

You better watch out with that fish if they're anything like their close relative the leaf fish it will be very agressive and eat small fish.

Indeed.
Mark, I'm thrilled you are researching the fish in question, however don't you think you should have done that before buying it? Maybe something to consider next time. I'm only saying because it's happened so many times before when someone gets sold a fish that they don't know of and it can ruin the whole tank.
As for keeping the Ctenopoma, it prefers an aquarium where it feels secure, therefore plant cover is ideal. They do get to a generous size(8inches but usually smaller), so a standard 30gal is fine. Food should consist of meaty, live and frozen foods.

please could somebody ID my new fish, the LFS said it would grow to around 7-8 inches.

Thanks all,

Mark

looks like a venustis, not sure the spelling is correct, but it is a species of african cichlid

Can you really call two fish which are seperate at the Family level "closely related"?

I admit that both fish come under the Order Perciformes, but then so do cichlids, snakeheads, blennies, gobies, morwongs and anemonefish (and many more).

Thanks all,

Mark

On a side note it looks skinny, get some good meaty foods into it and itll plump up in no time.

MY Ctenopoma pair will eat absolutely everything.

This would be known as a climbing perch gourami, I don't know the scientific name lol but I know 110% that it is, I have 5 of them, they could grow to about 8" but mine are about 5"-6". They are spectacular fish commonly known for their behaviour of swimming along the tank for food which looks like they are actually climbing, hence the name. I would not say they are aggressive but can be territorial :)

Most reactions

Back