Platys Flicking Against Plants

fakekerby

Reaction score
Hi All,

I noticed last night my platys have started 'flicking' against plants - I have seven of them, and I've noticed at least 3 of them doing this between last night and this morning!

I know this is a sign of white spot, however, there are NO white spots on Any of my fish (at the moment).

is there anything else I should be looking out for? Could it be a different disease?

Should I start treating the tank now before anything else happens?

I can get to a pets at home in a few hours, so quick replies would be great please!!

Thanks,
Alex

test the water quality with an API Liquid master test kit (these can be brought from pets at home)

flashing - the behaviour you described - can also be a sign of bad water quality

is the tank fully cycled?

have you added anything new recently?

what size is the tank?

and what is the stocking?

thanks

Laura

Also it can be a sign of internal paracites *shudders* if you cant see any white spot(ich), and your water peramiters are good the internal would be my first guess.

test the water quality with an API Liquid master test kit (these can be brought from pets at home)
I have one of these and the water has always been OK, if a little on the high pH side - not done a check for a couple of weeks though.

flashing - the behaviour you described - can also be a sign of bad water quality
I haven't changed my water recently, I will do a change tonight

is the tank fully cycled?
It's a couple of months old, I'd guess so??

have you added anything new recently?
Yes, 4 midget sucker catfish who show no signs of illness - very lively in fact

what size is the tank?
Not sure exactly, roughly 150-200L

and what is the stocking?
7 platys, 4 midget catfish, 4 coreys, 4 harlequins, and 2 danios

actually it is usually a sign of flukes and not internal parasites!!
Treat with waterlife protozin or sterazin and hey presto...happy platy again.
If you can't get hold of the water life ones in a hurry then anything with malchite green and formaldehyde in will do!

Most reactions

Back