Platys And Endlers

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

blueboy1

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Today I picked up 6 platys, 3 tiny 3 awesome variety ones and one of then has a Mickey Mouse like sign on its tail and is chasing around a female which is one of the biggest platys I think I have ever seen, is it pregnant? Also have others I think are pregnant so will add pics of them all soon. I have also got 10 pairs of pure bred endlers and I'm curious to see what the pregnant females look like as mine are huge with a big black spot on belly area, if any fish look pregnant when I get to posting pics can you estimate how long until they give birth please :)

have 3 females per male to limit aggression.
the male is most likely frisky and wants to get at her.

make sure you watch you water stats so that you don't have spikes that'll kill your fish.

Any female livebearer should be considered pregnant all the time.

As for male endlers, they breed like it's their mission in life. They will attempt to mate with anything in the tank, alive or not, including their own reflection on the glass. Absolutely one of my favorite fish and a joy to watch.

Because endlers are such breeding fanatics, I would personally recommend 3 girls for every 1 male to limit the mayhem. Also make sure that they eat on occasion, because they can get a little fixated on mating.

I've noticed they do follow the females about a lot until I add brine shrimp to the tank then their priorities change ;)

My endler boys attempt mating with the female guppies, all the rice fish (male and females), the rainbows (male and females), the cory's, each other, the plants, and my personal favorite to watch, their own reflections.

They often skip meal time trying to mate while the other fish are trying to eat.

The Endlers breeding drive makes a tank with male only fish hystarical.  They are in motion and being chased or chasing.

The first on of my endlers has begun dropping fry, hopefully first on many so thanks to those who helped me! Spoke to friend and have requested more females to reduce stress as males are crazy even after one giving birth, one problem though... One of my endlers is in breeder trad dropping fry and I can see the bud like thing on one other female like it is also ready to drop, so when it does do I just put the fry into the breeder trap to risk getting past other mum or something else, if that makes any sense... I'm quite excited first fry in my tank!

So bit of an update, my fry tank isn't quite ready for another couple of days, so i had to leave to lone fry that was dropped last night in the breeder box and sadly it must have somehow escaped and been made supper of. I know they are good hider but my tank doesn't offer a lot of hiding spots as I'm awaiting more plants, look what you think?

Most reactions

Back