Platy with a humpback

curtispoppy

Reaction score
View attachment 344723View attachment 344724

I have had this fish for over a year, but recently it had changed shape and looks like it had a humpback - any advice gratefully received
IMG_4816.jpeg

Possibly old age and intestinal worms. It could also be Fish TB but the overall condition would suggest worms and maybe gill flukes too. I would deworm them and see how it looks in a month.

Section 3 of the following link has info on treating fish for intestinal worms.

I agree with Colin overhere. But whatever the cause, once the body starts to bend, the body won't get straight again...

Hello. Unless you have experience in fish biology, it can be difficult to know what's wrong with your fish. Platys are likely the hardiest fish you can get. The first thing I would suggest doing is to review your water change routine. How much water do you remove and replace each week? I always add a bit of standard aquarium salt to the replacement water. I have for many years and believe that it will retard the growth of most pathogens that can live in an aquarium. The large, regular water change will generally help the fish maintain a healthy immune system and the chances of a healthy fish being infected by some sort of bacteria is very remote.

Most reactions

Back