Platy turning silver

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lucy202

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My white and black mickymouse female platy has gone quite silver on the black part on her tail, her behaviour is still the same and she's eating. The water readings are all good, reading at GH 8 days, KH 6 days, PH 7.2 and Ammonia 0. I did add some trumpet snails 3 weeks ago.

Is it just a colour change or could it be that something is wrong and needs treating?

It's on both sides of her tail , please see photos.
Thank you.

1000009505.jpg

Attachments

• 1000009506.jpg
    1000009506.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 21
It's just pigment in the fins. It can change.

Platys can have genetic cancers - melanoma. It's if the black increases, and isn't reflective but has a dull, flat texture that the fish is in trouble. But that's on the body, not on the fins. and your fish is going in the opposite direction.

It's just pigment in the fins. It can change.

Platys can have genetic cancers - melanoma. It's if the black increases, and isn't reflective but has a dull, flat texture that the fish is in trouble. But that's on the body, not on the fins. and your fish is going in the opposite direction.
Ok thank you 😊

I think Lucy is referring to the whiteish patch on the black area of the body, not the fin.

It's hard to tell due to the grainy image but it could be excess mucous. Try doing a big water change and gravel cleaning the substrate, see if it helps.

At this stage it is not a disease. If it is excess mucous it is made by the fish to protect the area from something irritating it. Monitor and see how it goes over the next few days.

It's hard to tell due to the grainy image but it could be excess mucous. Try doing a big water change and gravel cleaning the substrate, see if it helps.

At this stage it is not a disease. If it is excess mucous it is made by the fish to protect the area from something irritating it. Monitor and see how it goes over the next few days.
Thank you

Most reactions

Back