Platy Poo Trails

Kemics

Reaction score
not to most appetizing of topics but my platys seem to often have a trail of poo left behind them, at the moment their diet is flake food regularly and then i usually put some blood worm in once a week. The seem healthy and fine in all other respects. Am i just over feeding them?

Mine always get this. It's pretty gross, but seems to be the norm.
Even when I don't feed them for a day or 2, they'll usually end up having green poop trail b/c they start snacking on the algae.
They have a bottomless stomach and they're poo machines!

If you feed them peas it seems to help. Cook a few in the microwave, then take off the 'skins' and squish the inside bit between your fingers.
I'm sure they still produce as much, but it seems to break up the strings and looks a little less gross!

My Mollys have this to lol! neons do sometimes aswell but nowhere near as long!

Mine use to have this all the time. Not a pretty thing to see, sometimes was twice the size of the platy!!

I know feed Dapina ( told a natural laxative ) and a few peas once a week/every two weeks and that sorted the problem out nicely. :D

It's just their way of showing gratitude for all the great food you've been giving them...kind of like a thank you gift. LOL

:lol: should run a competition on here, who can get a pic of the fish with the longest :lol:

That could end badly, I can just see someone trying to force-feed their fish so that they can claim the title of 'longest poo trail'. :lol:

to feed them peas do you defrost them and just drop them in the tank or do i need to crush them etc

If you feed them peas it seems to help. Cook a few in the microwave, then take off the 'skins' and squish the inside bit between your fingers.
I'm sure they still produce as much, but it seems to break up the strings and looks a little less gross!

:good: my platies are the same :rolleyes:

to feed them peas do you defrost them and just drop them in the tank or do i need to crush them etc

To feed peas you should cook the peas, few secs in microwave if you have one.

Sqeeze the pea out of its skin then mash the peas up in to fish size nibbles and pop them in.

Most reactions

Back