platy death

colegamby

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i came home tonight to find my biggest female platy struggling for life stuck to teh filter in teh back of my tank. She was swimming around happily eating when i fed the fish and all that not but 5 hrs ago. I got her off the filter and her fins have been reduced to nubs and she has a large patch of scales missing on her tail. She is still alive and breathing but not moving. Whats wrong and what should i do to help her. Its a ten gallon tank and im pretty sure all the water is normal because all the other fish seem fine. the only tank mate that could have hurt her at all is the red tailed shark but i dont think he could have done all that damage.

I don't think there's much hope for your fish with the injuries you have described. I noticed you posted this topic a while ago now.... not sure how she's doing now but if i were you i'd put her out of her misery in the nicest possible way... ie: clove oil or other means that you feel are right.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Kaz x-x-x-x-x

Sorry for your loss :-( One of my platys got in the filter and died, now the filter has a lid.

Candyco said:
I don't think there's much hope for your fish with the injuries you have described. I noticed you posted this topic a while ago now.... not sure how she's doing now but if i were you i'd put her out of her misery in the nicest possible way... ie: clove oil or other means that you feel are right.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Kaz x-x-x-x-x
the only reason a platy (or any fish larger than a neon tetra really) would be stuck to a filter is because it's either sick or dying... I'm assuming your filter isn't way out of proportion for your tank, so I'm guessing there's soemthing already wrong.
I bought a ten gallon tank set from walmart where the filter was made for 10-25... so it was slightly over powering, but still within limits.

The filter probably didn't reduce it's fins to nubs - do you have any nippers?

Most reactions

Back